Final Score: Monmouth 3, VCU 1
Location: So Sweet A Cat Field (West Long Branch, N.J.)
Records: VCU 0-1, Monmouth 1-0
The Short Story: VCU got a late goal from Jamee Albright and held Monmouth scoreless in the second half but couldn't overcome an early 3-0 deficit on Friday afternoon in West Long Branch, N.J.
- The Hawks scored their first two goals of the game off of penalty corners.
- Monmouth outshot the Rams 16-8 for the game but the two teams were tied on shots at 7-7 in the second half.
- VCU ultimately trailed 3-0 at halftime but got a goal back as Jamee Albright scored off a Sydney Weise assist with just over four minutes remaining in the game.
- Goalkeeper Chessa Kownurko made seven saves for the Rams.
- Emily McNamara led the Rams with four total shots and Rebecca Ward had two.
- The Hawks had a slight 6-5 edge in penalty corners for the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Monmouth opened the scoring early as Alyssa Ercolino scored off a Julie Laszlo assist on a penalty corner just 1:42 into the game.
- The Hawks doubled their lead on another penalty corner as Laszlo scored at the 11:10 mark in the first half.
- Monmouth went up 3-0 at 33:53 on a tap-in goal from Josephine van der Hoop.
- VCU capitalized off a Monmouth turnover at the 65:49 mark as Weise fed Albright for the goal to bring the Rams back within 3-1.
- Emily McNamara had the last chance for VCU as she forced a save from from Christen Piersanti with just over 30 seconds remaining.
VCU will return to action Saturday Aug. 27 as they travel to Rutgers for a 3 p.m. game.