Oct 10, 2014
- Score: VCU 2, St. Louis 1
- Records: VCU (2-9, 1-4 A10), St. Louis (2-11, 0-4 A10)
- Location: Cary Street Field inside the HDL, Inc. Athletic Village
- The Short Story: Senior Kendell Combs (Suffolk, Va.) scored two second-half goals to lead the VCU field hockey team to a 2-1 win over St. Louis in Atlantic 10 action on Friday night. Combs led an offensive attack that fired off a season-high 14 shots, compared to just two for the Billikens.
How it Happened
- St. Louis delivered the first blow when Alanah Busby broke loose along the right side of the field and worked her way into the circle, sliding a shot into the back of the cage to give the Billikens a 1-0 less than two minutes into the game.
- From then on, it was all VCU as the Rams fired off nine first-half shots, including near misses by Alexis Albright and Kaylee Maunz.
- The Billikens were able to keep VCU off the board in the first half, but the second half was a different story.
- The Black & Gold stayed on the attack and broke through in the 48th minute when Jamee Albright slid along the baseline and found a cutting Combs, who deposited a shot into the back of the cage to even the score at 1-1.
- With just over five minutes to play, Combs took over again, getting loose in the circle and rocketing a shot past the SLU keeper to tally the decisive goal in the 2-1 Rams' win.
- "We did well today to come from behind after letting in an early goal in the first half. I thought that our ball movement looked very good today and we create lots of chances within our attacking circle." – Head Coach Laura Baker
- "It was great to see Kendell score two goals and lead us to a win. As a senior, we need her to take on that role and it was nice to see it happen tonight." – Head Coach Laura Baker
- "Tonight's game was a break through for our team. We have been fighting for one another and now our result resembled that. Constantly playing for something greater than ourselves will be imperative as we press on throughout this journey." – Senior Kendell Combs
- The Rams travel to take on #1 UNC on Sunday in Chapel Hill. Gametime is set for 1 p.m.