Sep 05, 2014
- Score: VCU 2, Liberty 1
- Records: VCU (1-1), Liberty (1-2)
- Location: Liberty Field Hockey Field—Lynchburg, Va.
- Short Story: Behind 12 saves from Kendall Clifton, VCU picked up its first win of the season with a 2-1 victory at Liberty on Friday. Nicola Breeman and Jamee Albright had goals for the Rams.
How It Happened
- Nicola Breeman put VCU ahead 1-0 in the 23rd minute.
- Jamee Albright scored her first collegiate goal in the 53rd minute to give the Rams a 2-0 lead.
- Liberty cut VCU's lead to one in the 64th minute when Nicole Simms got one past Kendall Clifton.
- Clifton registered 12 saves and allowed just one goal during her 70 minutes in the cage.
- "Today we showed grit and determination for 70 minutes," said head coach Laura Baker. "It was a full team performance from every player on our squad. We took our chances when we had opportunities in the circle and held our defense strong. I'm really proud of the way we played and it's a great way to start off our weekend."
- "I am extremely proud of how our team fought until the end," said goalkeeper Kendall Clifton. "Everyone played with all their heart and left everything out on the field. I couldn't ask for a better team to stand in front of me."
- The Rams will continue their weekend road swing at Longwood on Sunday, November 7 at 1:00 p.m.