November 8, 2013
RAMS SEASON ENDS WITH TOUGH DOUBLE OT LOSS TO #12 UMASS, 1-0
- Score: #12 UMass 1, VCU 0
- Records: UMass (17-4), VCU (10-10)
- Location: Garber Field – Amherst, Mass.
- The Short Story: A stellar defensive effort by senior keeper Megan Botteri helped the VCU Field Hockey team battle top-seeded and 12th-ranked UMass into double overtime, but Lauren Allymohamed was able to slide one past Botteri in the 91st minute to give the Minutewomen the 1-0 victory. Botteri racked up a career-high 19 saves on the day, which is the third-most in a single game in VCU history.
How It Happened
- The Rams would control tempo in the first 15 minutes, holding UMass to just two shots, while earning a corner to get their first opportunity of the day. Second-Team All-A10 midfielder Kendell Combs lined up a blast, but it was blocked to keep the game scoreless.
- Senior Emilie Soares, a First Team All-A10 honoree, got loose for a shot in the 32nd minute, but it went just wide as the game remained, 0-0.
- UMass would put pressure on Botteri as the half came to a close, but the senior made four saves in the final two minutes to keep it 0-0 at the break.
- The Minutewomen would continue the pressure in the second half, registering a 12-0 shot tally in the stanza, but Botteri and the Rams continued to turn them away and send the game into overtime.
- UMass would get off nine shots in the first overtime, all of which were turned away, while senior Kelsey Powell got off a shot in the 78th minute, but it went just wide.
- Just over five minutes into the second overtime, UMass would finally convert on their 13th corner of the afternoon when Allymohamed slid a shot into the back of the cage for the victory.
- "I couldn't be more proud of this group of student-athletes. Against a very talented UMass team, they played with heart, determination and resilience all day long. It was a tremendous effort. Our seniors set the tone like they had for all four years of their careers. They will definitely be missed and helped changed the culture of VCU field hockey." – Head Coach Laura Baker