Oct 27, 2013
- Score: #12 UMass 3, VCU 1
- Records: UMass (14-4), VCU (8-9)
- Location: Garber Field – Amherst, Mass.
- The Short Story: The VCU Field Hockey team stayed within striking distance of 12th-ranked UMass for nearly the entire 70 minutes, but a late goal by the Minutewomen sealed a 3-1 defeat for the Black & Gold. Junior Nicola Breeman tallied her second career goal to supply the VCU offense.
How It Happened
- UMass' aggressive offensive attack got on the board early when Molly MacDonnell redirected a pass from Charlotte Verelst into the back of the cage to give the Minutewomen a 1-0 lead in the ninth minute.
- VCU would keep UMass at bay and try and stage a late first half rally, earning back-to-back corners in the final 10 minutes of the half, but both efforts were stifled as the game remained 1-0 at the break.
- Much like the first half, UMass came out firing in the second stanza, pushing the lead to 2-0 in the 38th minute when Hannah Prince finished off a penalty corner.
- The Rams responded quickly though with senior Emilie Soares finding Breeman in front of the cage for Breeman's second goal of the season and got VCU back within one goal at 2-1.
- The game would stay that way until the 64th minute when Izzie Delario took a pass from MacDonnell and put home an insurance goal for UMass at 3-1.
- "Although today's game wasn't the result we wanted, I think it was a great bounce back from Friday's game. We played to our game plan and had some great opportunities that we weren't able to capitalize on. Overall, I'm happy with the way we played today and hope that we can continue to build on this level of play for our last two games of the regular season next weekend." - Head Coach Laura Baker
- The Rams return home for the final weekend of the season with Saint Joseph's and La Salle coming to Richmond. Game time on Friday, Nov. 1 against Saint Joseph's is set for 3 p.m.