Oct 13, 2013
- Score: Richmond 6, VCU 1
- Record: Richmond (8-5), VCU (6-7)
- Location: University of Richmond Field – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Three goals by the University of Richmond in the first 20 minutes of the game set the tone in a tough crosstown matchup for the VCU Field Hockey squad, which dropped a 6-1 decision in the conference opener for both squads. Senior Emilie Soares netted her 11th goal of the year and has now scored in five of her past six games.
How It Happened
- The Rams were able to stave off any UR pressure early on, but the Spiders finally got on the board in the 10th minute when Avery Safford put home a deflection to give Richmond a 1-0 cushion.
- Three minutes later, Rebecca found the back of the cage to push it 2-0, followed closely by Kerri McDonald in the 17th minute to make it 3-0 in favor of the Spiders.
- VCU tried to get into the break with it remaining at 3-0, but Emma Johansson took a pass from Kelly Quinn and slid it past senior goalkeeper Megan Botteri to push the UR lead to 4-0.
- Barry would add two more goals in the second half to cap off the Richmond scoring.
- Soares put home VCU's lone goal of the day in the 52nd minute when she tipped in a pass off a corner from freshman Sydney Weise.
- "Today's game was disappointing because we didn't play to our game plan. Richmond is a very good team and played well, but we also let them jump out to a quick start and that put us on our heels for the rest of the game. In the second half, we played much more to our game plan, but it came down to basics and focus for us. We were able to take advantage of our opportunity off the corner, but have to be much better about using all the opportunities we get to our advantage." – Head Coach Laura Baker
- "We still have a long way to go in Atlantic 10 play and know that we can only go up from here. We are excited to continue our season and we're excited about our trip to St. Louis" – Baker
- VCU hits the road in Atlantic 10 play when they travel to St. Louis on Friday afternoon. Game time is set for 1 p.m.