September 22, 2013
RAMS FALL 6-0 TO TOP-RANKED NORTH CAROLINA
- Score: #1 UNC 6, VCU 0
- Records: UNC (8-0), VCU (2-5)
- Location: Cary Street Field – Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: VCU held the top-ranked Tar Heels scoreless in the second half, but a six-goal first half was all UNC needed en route to the 6-0 win over the Rams. Redshirt senior Megan Botteri registered 11 saves on the afternoon.
How It Happened
- UNC showed everyone why they were the top-ranked team right away, scoring twice in the first 4:03 with Loren Shealy and Abby Frey both finding the back of the cage.
- Lauren Moyer extended that lead to 3-0 in the 16th minute as the Tar Heels continued to put pressure on the Black & Gold.
- Kristy Bernatchez scored twice in a span of less than six minutes and Nina Notman sandwiched a goal in between to finish off the six-goal first period.
- The second half saw the Rams come out aggressive, putting pressure on the Tar Heels right away and earning a corner less than two minutes into the period.
- VCU's best chance came in the 58th minute when the Black & Gold drew back-to-back corners and Steph DeMasi nearly put home a rebound off a shot by Kendell Combs, but it went just wide as the game would end with the scoreboard reading 6-0.
- "Today's game was a tale of two halves from our standpoint. We didn't play to our game plan in the first half and UNC took advantage of it. In the second half, I thought we calmed down and stuck to our game plan. To play the number one team in the country is always a great opportunity to get better and I think we took some of those steps today." – Head Coach Laura Baker
- VCU is back home next weekend when they host Siena on Friday afternoon. Game time at Cary Street Field is set for 4 p.m.