September 6, 2013
COMBS, DEMASI NOT ENOUGH AS RAMS FALL 4-2 TO WILLIAM & MARY
- Score: William & Mary 4, VCU 2
- Records: VCU (0-1), William & Mary (2-0)
- Location: Busch Field – Williamsburg, Va.
- The Short Story: Junior Kendell Combs and senior Stephanie DeMasi both had a goal and an assist, but it wasn't enough as the VCU Field Hockey team dropped its regular season opener, 4-2, to a high-powered William & Mary squad. With her assist on the day, DeMasi moved into a tie for fourth on the all-time career assists list with 21.
How It Happened
- William & Mary got things started early as Pippin Saunders drove baseline and found Brittany Hopkins in the 8th minute to give the Tribe a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams responded just over four minutes later as DeMasi converted a corner with the help of Combs and newcomer Erika Bienlien to even the score at 1-1.
- VCU would keep the pressure on with two corners and three shots in the next two minutes to force the Tribe into a timeout.
- It looked like the game would go into half tied up at one, but William & Mary had other ideas, scoring two goals in the final four minutes of the half to take a 3-1 lead into the break.
- Combs and DeMasi would again team up on a corner in the second half. Combs, with the assistance of DeMasi and Nicole Barry, put home a goal in the 42nd minute to bring VCU within one at 3-2.
- The Rams would continue the pressure with four shots in the next six minutes, but none found the back of the cage.
- William & Mary put the game out of reach in the 68th minute when Jesse Ebner put home a rebound to push the Tribe's cushion to 4-2.
- "Today, we played some good spurts of hockey. William & Mary has a well-put together and talented team and in order to beat teams like them, we need to focus on being able to play a more composed game for the entire 70 minutes. We'll regroup this week and work on improving and preparing for our upcoming trip out west." – Head Coach Laura Baker
- VCU takes a trip out west next weekend with a Friday afternoon tilt at Pacific up first. Game time is set for 6 p.m. EST, 3 p.m. PST.