Final Score: Duke 2, VCU 1 (Game 1)
VCU 5, Duke 3 (Game 2)
Location: Durham, N.C.
Records: VCU 36-12 (14-10 A-10), Duke (28-18, 13-11 ACC)
The Short Story: After being edged in a 2-1 pitchers' duel in game one, Logan Amiss drove in the go-ahead runs in the top of the ninth inning to earn VCU the win in game two and split the doubleheader.
- Logan Amiss pinch hit for VCU in game two in the top of the ninth inning, hitting the game-winning single to left field that scored two runs.
- Paul Witt went 2-of-2 with an RBI and a walk in game one. He went 1-for-4 in game two with a run scored.
- Andrew Puglielli went 1-for-3 with a run scored in the first game and followed it going 1-for-4 with two RBIs in game two.
- Connor Gillispie started game one for the Rams, going four innings and allowing three hits while striking out six. He walked two and gave up two earned runs. Benjamin Dum pitched in relief, going four innings giving up one hit and striking out two.
- On the mound in the second game, VCU used three pitchers that allowed two earned runs on nine hits. The trio struck out six Duke batters.
- Sam Ryan earned the win pitching the final three innings after Justin Sorokowski started and Evan Chenier came on in relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a 0-0 game, the Rams had two runners on with one out in the top of the second inning but grounded into a double play.
- VCU got on the board first in the top of the third inning when Paul Witt hit a sacrifice fly to that scored Puglielli.
- Duke tied the game in the bottom of the fourth on a fielders' choice with the bases load. Duke took the lead at 2-1 when Ethan Murray had a sacrifice fly that scored Matt Mervis.
- VCU's best chance to tie the game came In the top of the eighth inning with two outs. Witt reached on a single to left field, advanced to second on a wild pitch and then stole third. Hibbits was intentionally walked then stole second base to put two runners on but VCU was unable to capitalize after getting the third out on a strikeout.
- With the bases loaded in the top of the first inning, Steven Carpenter singled up the middle to score Zac Ching and put VCU up 1-0.
- Two batters later, Puglielli also singled up the middle and drove in both Witt and Liam Hibbits to give the Rams a 3-0 advantage.
- Duke cut VCU's lead to 3-1 after a sacrifice fly from Joey Loperfido in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- The Blue Devils got another run in the bottom of the sixth inning on a solo home run by Kyle Gallagher.
- Duke tied the game 3-3 on a single from Ethan Murray to score an unearned run.
- Amiss pinch hit in the top of the ninth inning with one out and hit a single to left field to drive in Hibbits and Ching for the go-ahead runs.
- Ryan shut the door on Duke, only allowing one hit and striking out Matt Mervis to end the game.
VCU will play at Norfolk State on May 8 at 3 p.m. in a non-conference matchup.