Final Score: Fordham 3, VCU 2
Location: Tucker Field at Barcroft Park (Arlington, Va.)
Records: VCU 34-22, Fordham 35-17-1
The Short Story: The VCU Rams fell in a tough opening matchup in the Atlantic 10 Championship, as a late eighth-inning run by the Fordham Rams dropped the Black & Gold by a final score of 3-2.
- Haiden Lamb put together the only multi-hit game of the day, going 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Paul Witt recorded a hit, going 1-for-4 on the day, while Zac Ching added a hit and RBI in an 1-for-3 day with an RBI.
- Despite not recording hits, Daane Berezo and Josh Simon each walked twice in the ballgame. VCU drew nine walks as a team in the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With no scoring from the fourth inning through the seventh, Fordham broke the tie in the bottom of the eighth, as Justin Bardwell connected for a go-ahead double with one out. That would give Fordham their 3-2 advantage going into the ninth inning.
- Fordham grabbed the early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning, as they were able to get to Connor Gillispie for a few hits. It would be a Justin Bardwell single back through the box to score the first run for Fordham.
- VCU responded with a pair of runs in the top of the second inning, grabbing the first one on an error at shortstop on a grounder from Ching.
- Lamb added the tiebreaker in the inning with a single to center with runners on second and third to put VCU ahead 2-1.
- A safety squeeze in the bottom of the third by Fordham would tie the ballgame at 2-2. Brian Goulard dropped down the bunt, scoring Alvin Melendez who reached third on a double and an error.
VCU will return to action later tonight, Wednesday, May 23 at 8:30 p.m. The opponent is to be determined, but will be either George Washington, Davidson, or Richmond. The game will be the first elimination game of the tournament.