Final Score: George Washington 11, VCU 2
Location: Tucker Field at Barcroft Park (Arlington, Va.)
Records: VCU 31-21 (14-10 A-10), George Washington 27-22 (12-9 A-10)
The Short Story: With a chance to sweep the weekend series against George Washington, the VCU Rams came up just short as the Colonials found their offense as the Black & Gold dropped by a final score of 11-2.
- Daane Berezo paced the offense with a 2-for-4 day, collecting an RBI.
- Paul Witt was the only other Ram with a multi-hit day, going 2-for-3 with a hit by pitch.
- Mitchel Lacey added an RBI on a hit by pitch, as Hogan Brown, Brett Willett, and Andrew Schatz all added singles on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- George Washington jumped ahead for good in the bottom of the fifth inning, as they batted home four runs to take a 9-2 lead at that point. They used three doubles, two singles, and a sacrifice fly to expand the lead in the inning.
- Mark Osis supplied the power for the Colonials in the bottom of the third, smacking a two-run home run to give George Washington a 5-0 lead at that point.
- VCU made it a game for a brief time in the top of the fifth inning, as Berezo knocked an RBI single into center to get the Rams on the board.
- Lacey would get hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to give the Black & Gold their second run of the inning in the fifth.
- The Colonials grabbed the early lead in the bottom of the second by scoring three runs, capped by a two-RBI double from Isiah Pasteur.
- Osis would plate the Colonials 10th run of the ballgame in the bottom of the sixth, as he doubled home a run extend their lead to 10-2. He also added a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the eighth to make the lead 11-2.
VCU will return to action Tuesday, May 15 as the Rams face off with the Old Dominion Monarchs in a rematch of last Tuesday's midweek matchup. First pitch Tuesday is set for 6:30 p.m.