Final Score: Old Dominion 7, VCU 1
Location: Bud Metheny Baseball Complex (Norfolk, Va.)
Records: VCU 29-20, Old Dominion 14-31
The Short Story: With a stiff breeze in the air in Norfolk, the VCU Baseball team continued their offensive woes on Tuesday night, as the Rams were defeated by the Old Dominion Monarchs by a final score of 7-1.
- VCU's bright spot was starter Connor Gillispie, who led the game off with three scoreless frames, giving up only two hits and striking out a team-high four batters.
- Haiden Lamb collected two of VCU's eight hits, going 2-for-4 with a pair of singles and a hit by pitch.
- Brett Willett also got into the multi-hit column, also going 2-for-4 with a pair of singles.
- Zac Ching smacked the only extra base hit of the ballgame for the Black & Gold, going 1-for-3 with a double.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU tied the ballgame in the top of the fifth, as they were able to load the bases with nobody out. However, a double play ball cut the runner at the plate and at first, but a passed ball would eventually score the run a batter later.
- Old Dominion took the 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Erik Stock hit a solo home run to open the inning to give the Monarchs an early lead.
- The Monarchs grabbed the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning. ODU was able to load the bases, and a bases-clearing triple with two outs brought in three runs for a 4-1 lead.
- It became a 5-1 ballgame in the bottom of the seventh in favor of the Monarchs. An RBI single through the left side by Culver Lamb scored a run, pushing the ODU lead to four.
- Old Dominion would tack on the dagger in the bottom of the eighth, as a pair of RBI singles from Jimbo Reemsnyder and Matt Schwarz would plate a pair of runs for a 7-1 lead.
- VCU would get runners with back-to-back singles from Tyler Juhl and Berezo in the eighth. However, a strikeout and two long flyouts ended the inning for the Black & Gold without a run across the plate.
- The Rams threatened to score in the top of the third, as Lamb slashed a single with two outs. Ching would follow it up with a double, putting runners on second and third. However, a fly out ending the inning for VCU.
VCU will return to action Friday, May 11 as the Rams open a three-game Atlantic 10 series with the George Washington Colonials. First pitch on Friday is slated for 3 p.m.