Final Score: VCU 12, Longwood 2
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 27-14, Longwood 13-26
The Short Story: The VCU Rams struck early and often, as the pitching staff also held together to surrender only three hits as the Black & Gold defeated the Longwood Lancers by a final score of 12-2 at The Diamond.
- Liam Hibbits led the offensive outburst with three hits, all singles as he finished 3-for-3 reaching all four times up to the plate. He added two RBI's, two runs scored, and walk.
- Zac Ching chipped in with a 1-for-3 day, as his one hit was double. He brought in a team-high three RBI on the day, also walking once.
- Steven Carpenter and Hogan Brown each collected a pair of hits and an RBI. Carpenter would score three runs, leading the team in the category on the night.
- Hayden Moore pitched two shutout innings in earning his third win of the season in relief, as the pitching staff as a whole held Longwood to just three hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams wasted no time breaking the door open, as they were able to take an early 2-1 lead without recording a hit. Lamb and Brown each walked to leadoff the inning. Berezo's sac bunt would get thrown away to tie the game, and a wild pitch following would score the second run.
- A pair of singles from Carpenter and Hibbits combined for three more runs, while a sacrifice fly from Ching brought a run as well to give VCU a 6-1 lead after one inning.
- It was the same story in the bottom of the third, as it was four RBI singles, including three straight, that gave the Black & Gold a 10-2 lead. Simon, along with Lamb, Brown, and Berezo did the damage of the inning.
- Ching would add a pair of runs in the bottom of the fourth when he smacked a double to the left field gap. The play would score Carpenter and Hibbits, pushing the score to 12-2.
- Both of Longwood's runs came on outs, with a sacrifice fly in the first, followed by a groundout in the second inning.
VCU will return to action Friday, April 27 as the Rams will travel to North Carolina to take on the Davidson Wildcats in an Atlantic 10 weekend series. First pitch Friday is slated for 3 p.m.