Final Score: George Mason 11, VCU 3
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 24-14 (8-5 A-10), George Mason 16-20 (7-3 A-10)
The Short Story: It was a rough go of it for the VCU Rams on Friday evening, as they dropped a tough 11-3 game to the George Mason Patriots to open up their three-game series at The Diamond.
- Daane Berezo led the way with a three-hit ballgame, going 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles.
- Mitchel Lacey added a double in his two-hit performance, while Brett Willett and Josh Simon each had two hits as well.
- Haiden Lamb finished 1-for-4 with a run scored, while Hogan Brown went 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Patriots hit early and often, as they scored two runs in the first inning to take an early 2-0 lead. It would be three straight singles that would give them the advantage.
- VCU would tie things up in the bottom of the first on their own hit parade, as Lamb, Brown, and Berezo all smacked singles to set things up. Brown's single scored Lamb after he stole second during his at-bat.
- Witt would cap the scoring with a sacrifice fly, as Brown would score to tie things up at 2-2. Witt's final RBI would come in the bottom of the eighth, as his groundout would score a run.
- George Mason would take control from there, taking a 4-2 lead through five innings on RBI singles from Greg Popatak.
- The game broke open in the top of the sixth as the Patriots scored four runs, putting them out to an 8-2 lead at the time. They would finish it off with two runs in the seventh and a run in the ninth to take the win.
VCU will return to action Saturday, April 21 when they return to The Diamond to play host to the George Mason Patriots for Game 2 of the three-game Atlantic 10 series. First pitch for Game 2 on Saturday is set for 2 p.m.