Final Score: VCU 14, Maryland 3
Location: Marty "Turtle" Smith Stadium (College Park, Md.)
Records: VCU 24-13, Maryland 16-20
The Short Story: Scoring early and often was the route to success on Tuesday afternoon in College Park, as the VCU Rams defeated the Maryland Terrapins in their second meeting this season by a final score of 14-3. VCU scored all but three of their runs in the first five innings of play, grabbing the other four in the eighth and ninth innings.
- Hogan Brown led the offense with a three-hit day, going 3-for-5 with three RBI, a run scored, and a walk hitting from the second spot in the lineup for the first time this season.
- Four other Rams ended the day with a pair of hits, starting with Haiden Lamb as he went 2-for-4 with three RBI, two runs scored, and two walks.
- Mitchel Lacey went 2-for-3 with three runs scored, an RBI, and a walk.
- As a team, the Rams walked 11 times on the ballgame, with Zac Ching leading the way with three free passes on the day.
- Paul Witt and Steven Carpenter each collected two hits, with Carpenter snagging an RBI and a double.
- The combo of Ben Dum, Hayden Moore, Garrett Pearson, and Tanner Winters held Maryland off the board, tossing five combined scoreless innings around Sam Ryan's four inning performance in getting the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU got the party started right off in the top of the first, as Hogan Brown led off with a one-out single. After a Maryland error put runners on the corners, Lacey dropped a single into shallow right field to score Brown for a Rams 1-0 lead.
- The second inning brought the scoring train for the Rams. Brett Willett and Ching both reached to start the inning, setting up a sacrifice bunt from Hunter Vay. After the bunt, it would put runners on second and third for the top of the order.
- Lamb and Brown then went back-to-back with RBI singles, scoring a trio of runs to give VCU the 4-0 lead.
- The same pair of Lamb and Brown would each knock in runs again, as Lamb struck with a two RBI single in the third. Brown came back with a two RBI single of his own in the fifth as it gave VCU a 9-0 lead.
- In between all the scoring in the top of the fourth was an RBI double from Carpenter, as he planted a fly ball off the batter's eye in center field. The play would score one, giving Carpenter an RBI.
- The final dagger would come in the top of the eighth inning, as the Black and Gold would load the bases. Pinch hitting would be Josh Simon, and would get a second pitch inside fastball and turned on it. He sent it into the left field gap, scoring all three runners on giving the Rams a 12-3 lead.
- VCU put the icing on the cake in the top of the ninth inning as Witt smacked a sacrifice fly, while Matt Stallings added an RBI fielder's choice to send the Rams to the bottom of the ninth with a 14-3 lead.
- A two-run home run in the second from Randy Bednar and a solo home run in the third from Marty Costes would be Maryland's only scoring in the game.
VCU will return to action Friday, April 20 when they return to The Diamond to play host to the George Mason Patriots for a three-game Atlantic 10 series. First pitch for Game 1 on Friday is set for 6:30 p.m.