Final Score: St. Bonaventure 3, VCU 2
Location: Fred Handler Park (Olean, N.Y.)
Records: VCU 23-13 (8-4 A-10), St. Bonaventure 7-19 (3-7 A-10)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams just narrowly missed their second weekend sweep of the season, as they were defeated by the St. Bonaventure Bonnies by a final score of 3-2 after a comeback attempt in the ninth inning fell short.
- Paul Witt led the way with a 2-for-4 day scoring a run, while Brett Willett did the same, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Steven Carpenter chipped in with a 1-for-2 day with a pair of walks and an RBI.
- Hogan Brown added an RBI while Josh Simon reached via a walk.
- Curtis Bafus gave the Rams a strong start on the mound, tossing four shutout innings scattering only two hits and two walks.
- With their two wins on Friday, the Rams have now won three of four conference weekend series to this point.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams broke open the scoring in the top of the third as Brett Willett led off with a single. He would come around to score on a perfect hit and run with Steven Carpenter just two batters later as VCU jumped ahead 1-0.
- After getting down 3-1, VCU pushed in the top of the ninth to make something happen. Paul Witt led off with a single, followed by a hit by pitch to Liam Hibbits. That would put two runners on with nobody out.
- A wild pitch would move the pair up, as Hogan Brown pinch hit. He would ground out, but Witt would score to bring the Rams within one with only one out and the tying run on third.
- The following hitter, Brett Willett would hit a grounder to third that caught the VCU runner off the base, and St. Bonaventure would record the out at third, then putting a runner at first with two outs.
- It looked as though Zac Ching would strike out swinging to end the game, but with a wild pitch previous in the at-bat allowing Willett to reach second, a swing and miss on a pitch in the dirt to Ching got away from the catcher and allowed the Rams to put runners on the corners with two out.
- With the game on the line, Carpenter would get hit by a pitch to load the bases for Haiden Lamb.
- A groundout by Lamb off a check swing would end the ballgame, giving the Bonnies the narrow 3-2 win.
- Bonaventure earned their first two runs in the bottom of the fifth on a pair of singles, taking the 2-1 lead at the time.
- They wrapped up their scoring with a run in the bottom of the seventh as a double play ball with runners on the corners scored the runner from third to push the score to 3-1.
- The Rams nearly tied the ballgame in the top of the seventh, as VCU got a leadoff single from Witt. On a Brett Willett dingle to right, Witt came around third but would be thrown out at the plate from right field, keeping the score at 2-1.
VCU will return to action Tuesday, April 17 as VCU will travel to College Park, Maryland to take on the University of Maryland Terrapins. First pitch is slated for 4 p.m.