Final Score: VCU 4, Saint Louis 2
Location: Billiken Sports Complex (St. Louis, Mo.)
Records: VCU 18-8 (4-0 A-10), Saint Louis 16-8 (3-1 A-10)
The Short Story: For six innings, it appeared the VCU Rams hadn't quite got off the plane in only their second road game in the month of March. However, with only one hit and a 2-0 deficit on the board in the seventh inning, the Black & Gold got a pair of two-run home runs to clinch their 14th straight victory, taking out the Saint Louis Billikens by a final score of 4-2.
- Paul Witt and Liam Hibbits each launched a two-run home run on the afternoon, each finishing with two RBI.
- VCU's win streak now stands as the longest active winning streak in the country.
- Mac McCarty earned his 12th save of the season, while Braxton Wilks notched his third win of the season in relief of starter Connor Gillispie.
- Daane Berezo finished with a 1-for-4 with a run and a double.
- Brett Willett added a single, hit by pitch, and run scored on the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Berezo would swing and miss on a ball in the dirt to lead off the seventh, but the ball would bounce to the backstop. That would bring up Witt with a runner on, and he would smack his second home run of the season to tie the ballgame at 2-2.
- Willett would single with one out, putting him on for Zac Ching. Ching would send a ball to the warning track for the second out of the inning coming close to putting them on top.
- Hibbits would be the next batter, and with two strikes, sent a ball deep to right field for a two-run home run for the Rams second long ball of the inning. That would put VCU up 4-2 going into the back half of the game.
- McCarty would take over for Wilks in the bottom of the seventh inning, and shut down the Billikens over the final three innings of play to earn the victory for the Rams.
- Saint Louis however, set the tone early behind runs in the first and the fourth. Miller Hogan, starter for the Billikens, held VCU to only one hit through six innings of play. Until the seventh, the only hit would be a Berezo double in the fourth inning.
VCU will return to action Saturday, March 31 as the Rams will take on the Saint Louis Billikens on the road for game two and three of the three-game series in a day doubleheader. First pitch on Saturday is set for 3 p.m. EST with Game Three to follow shortly after.