Final Score: VCU 4, Rhode Island 2
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 16-8 (3-0 A-10), Rhode Island 5-17 (0-3 A-10)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams began their Atlantic 10 season in a big way, finishing off a sweep of the Rhode Island Rams in opening weekend action. A 4-2 win for VCU on Sunday extended their winning streak to 12 games, and putting them atop the A-10 standings in a tie with the Saint Louis Billikens.
- Liam Hibbits led the way with two hits, also scoring two runs in the ballgame.
- Daane Berezo, Steven Carpenter, and Hogan Brown all had RBI's on the afternoon. Berezo also extended his on-base streak to 15 games as well.
- The trio of Devin Dunn, Jack Alkire, and Mac McCarty threw six scoreless innings at the back end of the ballgame to keep Rhode Island at bay.
- Paul Witt collected one hit in the ballgame, extending his hitting streak to 15 games.
- Mac McCarty notched his 11th save of the season, putting him alone atop the NCAA leaderboard in that category.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rhode Island would have a chance to tie the game in the top of the ninth inning, as they would load the bases with one out. However, McCarty would get a 4-6-3 double play to end the ballgame and grab the sweep for the Rams.
- The bottom of the fourth is where VCU made their move, as the Rams were able to load the bases with one out. Berezo would send out a sacrifice fly, scoring Liam Hibbits to tie the ballgame.
- VCU's go-ahead run would come just one batter later, as Rhode Island starter Vitaly Jangols was called for a balk with the bases loaded again, putting the Black & Gold ahead 3-2.
- With the 4-2 lead in the top of the eighth, Rhode Island got runners on second and third with two out. With the tying run on second base, Jack Alkire struck out Austin White to end the inning.
- It would be Rhode Island putting on the pressure early, grabbing two separate leads in the second and third innings. After the bottom of the third, Rhode Island held a 2-1 lead.
- Steven Carpenter added in the cushion run in the bottom of the seventh, as his two-out RBI single scored Zac Ching to go ahead 4-2.
- Hogan Brown helped open VCU's scoring in the bottom of the second, as his RBI singled tied the game at 1-1.
VCU will return to action Wednesday, March 28 as they will play host to the Virginia Cavaliers in the 2018 "Duel at The Diamond". First pitch is set for 7 p.m.