Final Score: VCU 3, Iona 0
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 11-8, Iona 4-10
The Short Story: The VCU Rams have found their groove of late, as they have extended their winning to seven games thanks to a strong pitching performance and small ball execution in a 3-0 shutout victory over the Iona Gaels. Sam Ryan, Jack Alkire, Michael Dailey, and Mac McCarty combined to allow only three hits in the victory.
- Hogan Brown went 2-for-2 on the day with a double, RBI, and run scored.
- Six other Rams would record hits on the day, as Haiden Lamb and Josh Simon also chipped in with RBI's.
- Sam Ryan went four shutout innings, giving up only one hit, one walk, and striking out three.
- Jack Alkire was near perfect in three innings of work as well, only giving up a walk to his name and striking out four.
- Michael Dailey and Mac McCarty shut down the Gaels with scoreless eighth and ninth innings, giving up just a hit each.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams struck early in the bottom of the second inning, as a hit by pitch to Brett Willett began the inning off strong. Zac Ching then followed that up with a single in to right field to put two on and no out.
- Following a sacrifice bunt from Steven Carpenter, Josh Simon would sky one to left field, scoring Willett for the sacrifice fly.
- One batter later, Hogan Brown would send a chopping ball up the middle. Fielded by the shortstop, his throw to first would be late as Brown would beat the throw. While the ball was going to first, Ching would motor around third from second and score without a throw to put VCU up 2-0.
- Brown would get back in the action in the bottom of the fourth, as he was the catalyst to VCU's third run of the ballgame. A hustle double to left field, then a steal of third would put Brown in position to score.
- Haiden Lamb would then sky a ball to right field that would be caught, but score Brown from third to give the Rams a 3-0 lead.
- VCU looked like they would break things open in the bottom of the eighth inning, as they were able to load the bases. However, Iona got out of the inning without any damage, bringing on McCarty for the save in the top of the ninth inning.
- McCarty would pitch around a single with a ground out, fly out, and strikeout to end the ballgame and give the Rams the win.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Saturday March 17 as they will play host to the Iona Gaels for Game Two of the three-game series. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.