Final Score: VCU 6, Norfolk State 4
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 5-8, Norfolk State 0-11
The Short Story: A big offensive inning in the bottom of the third inning propelled VCU to a 6-4 victory over the Norfolk State Spartans on Wednesday afternoon. Both Michael Dailey and Benjamin Dum pitched a combined six scoreless innings in the victory, while Haiden Lamb and Liam Hibbits collected a pair of hits.
- Dum would earn the victory in the game, his first of the season as he only allowed three hits while striking out four in two innings of work.
- Dailey went four innings strong, striking out six and not allowing a single walk.
- Lamb would score two runs on the game in addition to two hits, while Hibbits added an RBI and run scored.
- Brett Willett added a 1-for-2 day with two walks, an RBI, and a run scored.
- Mac McCarty would record his fifth save of the season.
- Mitchel Lacey extended his on-base streak to 13 games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU jumped on the board quickly in the bottom of the first inning, as Lamb started the havoc with a bunt single. On the play, the throw to first would be high, allowing Lamb to take second.
- After Lamb stole third, Daane Berezo would line a ball to center field, scoring Lamb from third and giving the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- The Rams would get four runs in the bottom of the third inning, as they would load the bases with one out. An RBI single by Willett, two straight hit by pitches, and a wild pitch would bring home the quartet and push the score to 5-0 in favor of VCU.
- The Spartans would get on the board in the top of the fifth inning with an RBI double from Alsander Womack. It would score two runs, putting the score to 5-2.
- A sacrifice fly in the top of the fifth would get Norfolk State within two, as the score stood 5-3 going into the back third of the game.
- Hibbits would extend out the lead with an RBI double in the bottom of the seventh inning as it scored Lamb from second base.
- With the score 6-3 in the top of the ninth, Norfolk State would add a run to bring the score to 6-4. That would be all the Spartans would get, as Mac McCarty shut the door and recorded the save.
VCU will return to action this Friday, March 9 when they return home to The Diamond to take on the Binghamton Bearcats. First pitch on Friday will be at 3 p.m.