Final Score: VCU 2, Manhattan 1
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-7, Manhattan 1-7
The Short Story: A big day off the bat from Paul Witt scored both VCU runs as the Rams defeated the Manhattan Jaspers by a final score of 2-1. Sean Thompson earned his second win of the season in as many outings.
- Paul Witt collected a three-hit day, going 3-for-4 with a pair of RBI
- Mitchel Lacey extended his on-base streak to 11 games in a 1-for-2 game with two hit by pitches.
- Sean Thompson put up his best outing of the year, going seven innings allowing seven hits, one run, walking two, and striking out four.
- Haiden Lamb knocked a double for his only hit of the day, while Steven Carpenter added a single as well.
- Mac McCarty would get his fourth save of the season in the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both sides flew through the first two innings, leading to an interesting third inning. A walk in the top of the third with the bases loaded gave the Jaspers their first and only run, giving them a 1-0 lead.
- VCU would even the game in the bottom of the third inning, as Witt singled in Lamb for his first RBI of the game.
- Sean Thompson would get into the seventh inning without much trouble, however would run into damage control in the top of the seventh. With runners second and third and one out, Thompson would get a strikeout and groundout to end the inning.
- The Rams would take advantage of the top of the inning, as Witt would strike again for his second single and RBI of the day as his knock to left field would score Lacey to give the Rams a 2-1 lead.
- A solid inning from Braxton Wilks in the eighth and Mac McCarty in the ninth would shut the door on the Jaspers and clinch the Black & Gold's fourth win of the season.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, March 4 when they return home to The Diamond for game three of a three-game series versus the Manhattan Jaspers. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.