Final Score: Illinois 7, VCU 4 (Game 1)
Coastal Carolina 15, VCU 5 (Game 2)
Location: Springs Brooks Stadium (Conway, S.C.)
Records: VCU 3-5, Illinois 3-3, Coastal Carolina 7-2
The Short Story: After sweeping a preseason Top 25 team in West Virginia over the last two days, the VCU Baseball team ran into a tough day on the diamond. The Rams would fall to both Illinois and Coastal Carolina by scores of 7-4 and 15-5 during the duration of the day.
- Zac Ching ended Game 1 with a 3-for-4 performance with an RBI. It was his third three-hit game this season, and fourth multi-hit game. Ching is currently the Rams' leading hitter with a .433 batting average on the season.
- Both Daane Berezo and Mitchel Lacey have both reached in all eight games so far this season. Berezo holds a five-game hitting streak as well.
- Brett Willett is tied with Ching in offensive output with four multi-hit efforts this season.
- Jack Schroeder is now the only VCU Ram with two multi-RBI games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1 vs. Illinois
- A Brett Willett RBI single got the scoring started in the top of the first inning. The play would score Steven Carpenter, who singled to lead off the game.
- Illinois would waste no time tying the game up, as a sac fly would bring things back 1-1 after the first.
- The Fighting Illini would add a four-spot in the bottom of the third highlighted by a two-run home run. That would give them a 5-1 lead.
- VCU got back within two runs with runs in the seventh and eighth innings. Ching would collect an RBI single in the seventh. Paul Witt would get one in the eighth to make the score 5-3.
- However, it would be an Illinois two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth that would put the game out of reach for the Rams, putting the score at 7-3.
- The Rams would add a run in the top of the ninth and fight back. They would get the tying run to the plate, but couldn't collect a hit to bring them in with runners at second and third.
Game 2 vs. Coastal Carolina
- Coastal Carolina came out roaring in the bottom of the first inning, scoring seven runs while sending 11 guys to the plate. It would be 7-0 as the game went to the second inning.
- VCU fought back with four runs in the top of the third inning, as Haiden Lamb roped an RBI double, followed shortly with a three-run home run by Schroeder. That would put the score at 7-4.
- The Chanticleers would extend that lead back out, bringing it to 10-4 after three innings.
- Mitchel Lacey smacked his first home run of the season in the top of the fourth. He would go opposite way over the right field fence to move the score to 10-5.
- Coastal kept pouring it on, as they would score five more runs between the fourth and sixth innings to make it 15-5 into the seventh inning.
- Tanner Winters and Garrett Pearson each collected a shutout inning in the seventh and eighth innings, respectively. However, the Rams couldn't find any more offense through the ninth.
VCU will return to action this Wednesday, February 28 as they will return to Richmond for their season home opener versus the Maryland Terrapins. First pitch at The Diamond is slated for 3 p.m.