Final Score: VCU 6, West Virginia 2 (11 innings)
Location: Springs Brooks Stadium (Conway, S.C.)
Records: VCU 2-3, West Virginia 1-3
The Short Story: Tied 2-2 in the Top of the 11th inning, Brett Willett broke the tie with a loud double off the left field wall the spurned a four-run inning en route to a VCU Rams 6-2 win over the West Virginia Mountaineers Friday morning. The Black & Gold also saw various solid pitching performances that aided the win.
- Hogan Brown collected the first three-hit day of his career, going 3-for-5 with two doubles and a run scored.
- Mitchel Lacey and Haiden Lamb each collected a pair of hits on the day. Lacey went 2-for-5 with an RBI, while Lamb finished 2-for-4 with RBI, run scored, and two stolen bases.
- Seven of VCU's nine hitters collected a hit on the day.
- Sam Ryan threw four scoreless innings, while Hayden Moore tossed 3.1 scorless innings as well.
- Braxton Wilks collected his first win as a VCU Ram, and Mac McCarty notched his second save in as many games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The defense got going early for both squads, as Brown got the ball rolling with a diving catch to save a hit in the bottom of the first.
- The Rams were also victim to good defense, as the Mountaineers were able to turn a double play, as well as throw out a runner at third trying to tag up. Though both teams were getting hits, things stayed scoreless through five innings of play.
- VCU opened the scoring in the top of the sixth inning, as Brown smacked his second double of the day to left, then took third on a Josh Simon groundout.
- With the infield playing in, Haiden Lamb placed a single through the right side of the infield to score Brown, putting the Rams up 1-0.
- Lamb then proceeded to steal a pair of bases, getting to third and scoring on a Daane Berezo ground out. As the game went to the bottom of the sixth, VCU had a 2-0 lead.
- With two out and the bases loaded, West Virginia tied the game on an RBI single by Andrew Zitel. VCU would get a runner caught in between the bases, but the score would be tied 2-2 going into the seventh inning.
- Both teams would find opportunities to score, but defense kept both teams from plating a run through the ninth inning as the game went to extra innings.
- VCU had a chance to score in the 10th inning, as VCU got base runners on 1st and 3rd with nobody out. However, West Virginia cut down the runner at the plate on a bunt the following play to keep the Rams from scoring.
- In the 11th inning, it would be Willett's double off the wall in left to break the scoreless tie, scoring both Steven Carpenter and Paul Witt go go ahead 4-2.
- Mitchel Lacey would add in an RBI single, and Tyler Juhl would score on an error to give the Rams a 6-2 lead going into the bottom of the 11th.
- Braxton Wilks and Mac MacCarty gave the Rams a 1-2 punch in the bottom of the inning to seal the victory, capped by spectacular plays by Zac Ching and Brown.
VCU will return to action this tomorrow, Saturday February 24 as they return to Springs Brooks Stadium at Coastal Carolina to face West Virginia for a second time. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m.