Game 1: Team Gold 3, Team Black 3
Game 2: Team Black 9, Team Gold 7
Game 3: Team Gold 3, Team Black 2
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: Team Gold 1-1-1, Team Black 1-1-1
The Short Story: The VCU Baseball program held their annual intrasquad Black & Gold World Series over the weekend at The Diamond. With a three-game series on tap between Team Gold and Team Black, the two squads would split right down the middle after a Game 1 tie. All three games were results after six innings of play.
- Haiden Lamb and Hogan Brown each paced all hitters with four hits on the weekend. Four other Rams ended the weekend with three.
- Lamb also led all hitters with four RBI on the weekend, while Hunter Vay & Paul Witt each collected three.
- Freshman Tyler Juhl led all hitters with five walks over the three games.
- Paul Witt and Daane Berezo led all hitters with three runs scored each.
- Ryan Fox had perhaps the best outing of all pitchers, going three scoreless innings giving up only one run. Dawson Sims would throw two shutout innings as well.
- Garrett Pearson and Tanner Winters were both strong out of the bullpen, as Winter threw three innings giving up only one unearned run, while Pearson collected 1.1 innings with only one hit and no runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Team Gold would break the ice first in the top of the second inning, as senior Daane Berezo would bloop a single into center field, scoring freshman Tyler Juhl to give Team Gold a 1-0 lead.
- Team Black would tie things up in the bottom of the fourth inning. With Mitchel Lacey on third base, freshman Hogan Brown would send a sacrifice fly out to center field to score Lacey, putting things at 1-1.
- It would be a few batters later when Team Black would take a 2-1 lead, as freshman Liam Hibbits doubled to right field, scoring Andrew Schatz on the play.
- With crunch time setting in in the top of the sixth inning and one out, Haiden Lamb would double in two runs for Team Gold, giving them a 3-2 lead as Hunter Vay and Cody Powers each scored on the play.
- Down to their final out in the bottom of the sixth inning, sophomore Steve Carpenter doubled to center field off of Hayden Moore to score Hogan Brown, tying things at 3-3.
- After the final out of the inning, the game would end in a 3-3 tie.
- Team Black would get on the board early in the top of the first inning, as a wak to Steve Carpenter put the leadoff runner on. Paul Witt would follow that up with a two-run home run over the left field fence to give Team Black an early 2-0 lead.
- Team Gold, playing as the home team in the second game, would not be outdone. They would go off for three runs in the bottom of the first, started by a bases loaded walk by Hunter Vay, a single by Cody Powers, and a sacrifice fly from Tyler Juhl.
- Team Gold would add another run in the bottom of the second inning, as Matt Stallings joined the party with a sacrifice fly, scoring Daane Berezo to put Team Gold up 4-2.
- However, the top of the third inning brought a six-run inning from Team Black. It would be three singles from Brown, Hibbits, and Witt, followed by a double from Lacey that would put Team Black up 7-4. Lacey would ultimately end up scoring on a passed ball, ending the inning at an 8-4 score.
- Brett Willett added another run for Team Black in the top of the fifth inning, as his sacrifice fly scored Carpenter to extend the lead to 9-4.
- Team Gold chipped away and had a comeback attempt stopped short in the bottom of the sixth, as Hunter Vay singled in two runs and a sacrifice fly from Cody Powers put up three runs on the board and brought Team Gold within two runs at 9-7.
- However, a strikeout and pop up thanks to clutch pitching from freshman Devin Dunn would end the game, giving Team Black the victory.
- It seemed Team Gold would avenge their Game 2 loss early in Game 3, playing as the away team in the top of the first inning. With runners first and third and one out, a pair of groundouts would doom Team Gold and leave them without a run early.
- Team Black would take advantage, as Mitchel Lacey got the scoring started in the bottom of the third inning with an RBI double, scoring Paul Witt for a 1-0 lead.
- However, Team Gold would not be denied, putting up three runs in the top of the fourth inning thanks to an RBI double from Haiden Lamb and a groundout from Matt Stallings giving Team Gold a 3-1 lead.
- In the bottom of the fifth inning, Team Black pulled back within a run as Hogan Brown singled in run to put the score to 3-2.
- With minimal trouble in the bottom of the sixth, Braxton Wilks would strike out Josh Simon with a runner on second to end the game, giving Team Gold the 3-2 win and a split of the series.