Final Score: VCU 5, Liberty 4
Location: The Diamond (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 30-19 (16-5 A-10), Liberty 29-19 (14-7 Big South)
The Short Story: It would take all nine innings to get the job done, but after dropping three of their last four, the VCU Rams righted the ship on Saturday afternoon with a 5-4 win over Liberty. Senior Alex Gransback delivered a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth to give the Rams their 30th win of the season, while Sam Donko picked up the win in relief.
- Gransback finished his afternoon with a multi-hit effort, going 2-for-5 with an RBI and run scored.
- The difference maker was senior Darian Carpenter, who finished 1-for-2 with a three-run home run, a run scored, and two walks.
- Zac Ching ended his day 2-for-3 with a double, run scored, and a walk.
- Paul Witt joined in the multi-hit party, going 2-for-4 with a hit and RBI while Logan Farrar finished 1-for-3 with a run scored and two walks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU put on the pressure thanks to Gransback in the bottom of the first inning, as he was able to get to third with two out. However, the Rams couldn't cash him in, keeping things scoreless after one inning.
- The Rams smacked their first hits of the ballgame in the bottom of the second, as Brett Willett and Ching hit back-to-back singles. VCU would come up empty again, keeping the game 0-0.
- The Black & Gold had another chance with some base runners in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Carpenter and Mitchel Lacey drew back-to-back walks. After a Willett groundout that switched up the runners, VCU would strand the pair again, keeping things 0-0 into the fifth inning.
- It would be in the bottom of the fifth inning when VCU would finally break through with a run, as Witt delivered a two-out RBI single into right field to score Farrar giving the Rams a 1-0 lead.
- Things stayed status quo until the bottom of the eighth inning, as Carpenter would bop his 12th home run of the season with both Witt and Gransback on base to put the Rams up 4-0.
- With the home run, the Rams would get the padding they needed in the ninth, as Liberty struck with four runs off of Donko in the top of the ninth to tie the game at 4-4. A single, walk, and error would aid in the runs, sending the game to the bottom of the ninth.
- Ching would lead off the inning with a double down the left field line. After a strikeout, Ching would move up to third after a wild pitch during Daane Berezo's at-bat.
- A Berezo fly out would hold Ching at third now with two out. Liberty chose to intentionally walk Farrar, setting up the game in the hands of Gransback.
- The senior came through in the clutch, sending a single into right field scoring Ching and giving the Rams a walk-off 5-4 win.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, May 14 as VCU will host the second and final game of the home stand against Liberty at 1 p.m. The matchup is the Rams final home game of the season as well, and will have a Senior Day presentation pregame.