Final Score: Old Dominion 4, VCU
Location: Bud Metheny Baseball Complex (Norfolk, Va.)
Records: VCU 29-18 (16-5 A-10), Old Dominion 32-15 (16-8 C-USA)
The Short Story: After a rough weekend, the VCU Rams fell on the bad side of a score Wednesday night. After clubbing 12 total hits, the Black & Gold only cashed in one run in a 4-1 loss at Old Dominion.
- Freshman Steven Carpenter paced the offense with a four-hit evening, finishing 4-for-5 with a run scored.
- Senior Alex Gransback had the only other multi-hit effort for the Rams, going 2-for-3 with an RBI and hit by pitch.
- Eight of nine in the starting lineup collected at least one hit, as Logan Farrar, Darian Carpenter, and Paul Witt each contributed at the top of the lineup.
- Junior Ryan Fox threw a stellar 2.2 innings out of the bullpen, also followed by a pair of scoreless innings from Matt Jamer and Luke Crabb in the eighth and ninth innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a clean first two innings which only featured a Darian Carpenter single, Old Dominion got themselves on the board in the bottom of the third inning. Kyle Beam hit a two-out home run off of Connor Gillispie down the line to make it 1-0.
- Kyle Battle and Jared Young also went back-to-back with hits, as Battle singled followed by a Young double to give the Monarchs a 2-0 lead going into the top of the fourth.
- VCU would grab a run in the top of the fourth. With the bases loaded, Alex Gransback would take a pitch to the hip to force in a run and cut the ODU lead to 2-1. However, the Rams would stand the bases loaded in the inning.
- The Rams threatened in the top of the fifth, as VCU would be able to put runners on the corners with less than two out. Farrar and Steven Carpenter hit back-to-back singles, but a strikeout and pop out would end the inning.
- ODU pushed across another pair of runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, taking on the runs to seal the deal.
- The Black & Gold would get another single from Carpenter in the top of the ninth, but that would end things for the Rams.
VCU will return to action this weekend, starting this Friday, May 12 as the Rams will play host to Liberty in VCU's final home stand of the season. First pitch Friday is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.