Final Score: Dayton 4, VCU 2 (Game 1)
VCU 9, Dayton 1 (Game 2)
Location: Spectrum Stadium (Dayton, Ohio)
Records: VCU 29-17 (16-4 A-10), Dayton 15-30 (5-12 A-10)
The Short Story: In its second doubleheader of the season and first on the road, the Rams saw mixed success against the Dayton Flyers. In game one, VCU scored just two runs while Dayton was able to capitalize on their opportunities at the plate. Game two proved to be a reversal of fortune for the Rams as Logan Farrar went deep twice and Brooks Vial threw eight innings and struck out seven to lead VCU to a 9-1 victory.
- Logan Farrar had a slow game one, but homered in his second at-bat in game two. He would homer later in the ninth inning, ending game two 2-for-5 at the plate with four RBI and three runs scored.
- Brooks Vial threw eight strong innings, striking out seven while giving up just one run and three hits.
- Zac Ching also shined in game two, hitting 3-for-5 with a double and a run scored.
- Darian Carpenter went 2-for-4 in game two with two RBI, a double, and a run scored.
- Daane Berezo went 2-for-5 over the course of the two games, scoring one run while also walking twice.
- Jonathan Ebersole closed out game one, giving up just one hit over three innings pitched. He also struck out one batter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dayton loaded the bases in the bottom of the third and scored on a base on balls by Thompson, giving the Flyers a 1-0 lead.
- The Flyers would score again in the bottom of the fifth off a single by Dayton's Pat Meehan. That extended the Flyers' lead to 2-0.
- Willett would get the Rams on the board to lead off the top of the sixth, homering to right field to cut Dayton's lead to 4-1.
- The Rams found some life in the top of the ninth as Lacey pinch hit for Berezo and got on base via a single up the middle. He would be driven in on a groundout by S. Carpenter to bring the Rams within two runs at 4-2, but VCU would be unable overcome the Flyers' lead.
- Farrar blasted a home run to right field in the top of inning number three, driving in Berezo and putting the Rams up 2-0.
- Dayton answered in the bottom of the third, with the Flyers' Connor Wilson coming in off a sacrifice fly by Brantley Johnson. The Rams' lead was cut to 2-1.
- The fifth inning started with an Isquirdo double down the left field line. After a Berezo single, Isquirdo would be driven in on a Farrar fielder's choice to increase the Rams' lead to 3-1.
- The Rams would continue to attack in the fifth, as D. Carpenter would smoke a double to right center to score S. Carpenter and Farrar to push the lead to 5-1.
- It would be a quiet three innings until the VCU bats came alive in the top of the ninth. Farrar got the party started, crushing one over the right center fence to put the Rams up 6-1.
- D. Carpenter walked then scored off a Witt double to right center, making the score 7-1.
- With the bases loaded, Lamb singled through the right side to score Witt. Isquirdo followed up with a walk to score Ching, and the Rams would go on to win the game, 9-1.
VCU will return to action tomorrow, Sunday, May 7 as they will square off against Dayton in the rubber match of the three-game series. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.