FINAL: No. 3 George Mason 3 (33-20), No. 4 VCU 0 (36-19) (St. Louis) – Billiken Sports Complex
VCU STARTERS: Acker (RF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Ayers (DH), Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Marino (1B), Davis (2B), Octavi (C); Blanchard (RHP)
GEORGE MASON STARTERS: Willis (CF), Gum (SS), Fernandez (3B), Tobin (LF), Cook (2B), Leemhuis (RF), Monefusco (RHP), Toto (C), Foley (1B)
THE BASICS: George Mason used a complete game four hit performance from redshirt-senior pitcher Anthony Mutefusco to shutout VCU 3-0 in the Atlantic 10 winner's bracket final.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams recorded their first hit of the day with two outs in the third, when sophomore Cody Acker sent a slow copper up the middle, pushing senior Nick Octavi from first to third. The next hitter blasted a pop fly straight up to the third baseman Blasie Fernandez ending the threat.
- George Mason struck first in the fifth when Anthony Mutefusco reached on a VCU throwing error and then advanced to second when Luke Willis walked. The next hitter, Brandon Gum poked a single into left brining home Mutefusco and scoring the game's first run.
- The Patriots tacked on two more runs in the ninth to increase their lead out to 3-0 headed to the bottom of the ninth.
- With two outs in the ninth junior Vimael Machin roped a double into left field for the game's only extra base hit. That'd be all the Rams could muster in the ninth as Mutefusco used his third strikeout of the frame to end the threat.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Junior starter Matt Blanchard paved the way for VCU going 6.2 innings striking out a season-high nine batters. The one run scored under Blanchard's watch was unearned.
- VCU out hit George Mason 4-3 in the loss.
- Mason's 3-0 shutout win marked just the second time the Rams have been shutout all season long, the other came at Rhode Island on April 27.
- The Rams used three different pitchers for the final 3.1 innings, combined the trio allowed one hit and two earned runs.
- As a whole VCU pitchers struck out 10 Patriots in the defeat.
- The Rams will continue play in the Atlantic 10 tournament tonight at 7 p.m. (CT) when they match-up with the winner of Saint Joseph's and Saint Louis.