RAMS FALL TO UMD 12-1 IN HOME FINALE
FINAL: VCU 1 (32-12, 13-5), Maryland (29-19, 12-14) (Richmond, Va.) – The Diamond
VCU STARTERS: Acker (RF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Ayers (C), Cullen (CF), Davis (2B), Farrar (DH), Marino (1B); Greene (RHP)
MARYLAND: White (CF), Wade (1B), Lowe (2B), Quas (3B), Schmidt (SS), Lewis (LF), Papio (RF), Cieri (DH), Martir (C); Morris (LHP)
THE BASICS: Maryland used an 12 run outburst to defeat VCU 12-2 at The Diamond on Tuesday night, capping off the Rams' 2014 home slate.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maryland began the scoring in the third with a LaMonte Wade RBI double into left field plating Kevin Martir. The Terrapins weren't done there, with the next batter, Brandon Lowe lining a single up the middle brining home two more runs.
- The Rams pieced back-to-back hits from sophomores Cody Acker and James Bunn putting runners on second and third. Senior Joey Cujas laced a sacrifice fly into deep left field scoring Acker to close within 2, 3-1.
- Maryland loaded the bases in the fourth; pushing two more runs across with RBI produced in consecutive at bats from LaMonte Wade and Brandon Lowe.
- Maryland saw its lead balloon to 11, 12-1, with a seven run sixth, getting RBI from six different players.
- VCU went on to load the bases in the ninth, but was unable to cash in, ending the game on the wrong end of the 12-1 score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- VCU senior starter Seth Greene made his first start since March 21. Greene went 2.1 innings, allowing three runs on three hits.
- With a bunt single in the third inning James Bunn extended his hitting streak to 11 games, tying the Rams' longest streak of the year.
- Freshman Matt Jamer pitched his longest outing out of the bullpen this year, tossing 3.0 innings.
- Coming on in the ninth inning, junior Tyler Buckley made his first appearance of the year, striking out two Terps hitters.
- The Rams finished their home slate with a record of 16-6.
- VCU will now embark on a season-ending seven game road trip, beginning with a conference series at UMass this weekend.