FINAL: VCU 17 (19-3), St. Bonaventure 5 (4-12) (Richmond, Va.) – The Diamond
VCU STARTERS: Acker (RF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Cullen (CF), Farrar (DH), Davis (2B), Marino (1B), Octavi (C), Dwyer (LHP)
ST. BONAVENTURE STARTERS: T. Johnson (SS), Rosencrance (3B), Dunn (DH), Weightman (RF), Brozick (1B), Bell (CF), Heath (RF), Gresock (C), Styn (2B), Grey (RHP)
THE BASICS: The Rams totaled a season high 23 hits to take out St. Bonaventure 17-5. VCU broke the game open in the fifth and sixth inning, outscoring the Bonnies 14-2 in the frames, coasting to a 2-0 start in Atlantic 10 play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With runners on the corners in the first, junior Vimael Machin ripped a sacrifice fly into right field to score sophomore James Bun and give the Rams the 1-0 edge.
- Senior Trevor Marino led off the second frame with a double to left field, the following batter, senior Nick Octavi, used a sacrifice bunt to advance Marino to third. Sophomore Cody Acker capitalized with Marino in scoring position, using an RBI groundout to plate the game's second run.
- St. Bonaventure pulled within one in the third, Brian Weightman began the rally for the Bonnies getting on board with a walk. Weightman moved from first to third on a wild pitch and stolen base. Center fielder Tyler Bell used an RBI groundout to plate the visitor's first run.
- The Rams plated nine in the fifth to increase the Black and Gold's lead to 11-1. VCU's nine run fifth was highlighted by Matt Davis' two-RBI double and capped off with a two-RBI Trevor Marino single.
- St. Bonaventure tacked on two runs in the top of the sixth to close the gap to 11-3. The Bonnies scored the first run of the frame off of a wild pitch and Thad Johnson added the second on an RBI single.
- VCU received RBI's from five different hitters in the bottom half scoring five runs to push the lead back to double digits, 17-3.
- The Rams plated one more in the seventh on an RBI pinch hit double from senior pitcher Bryce Lee.
- St. Bonaventure tacked on two runs in the ninth but the Rams advantage proved to be too large as VCU took the contest 17-5, taking the series in the process.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Rams have won seven straight contests dating back to March 12, when VCU knocked off Virginia Tech 21-14. This is the second time on the year that the Rams have won seven straight (Feb. 21-March 5).
- Ten different Rams collected RBIs on the day, including three apiece from Cody Acker and Matt Davis.
- The 23 hits on the day set a new season high on the season.
- Both Joey Cujas and Trevor Marino collected four hits on the day. The mark set a new single game high for both players.
- Bryce Lee's RBI double marked the pitcher's first at bat as a Ram.
- Freshman Brian Goodling made his first appearance in the top of the sixth, pitching 2.1 innings striking out three Bonnies.
The guys were ready to go today, they came out ready to win the series. It was a close baseball game throughout the first five innings or so and we started to gain some momentum in the middle innings.
VCU Head Coach Shawn Stiffler
I was happy to get some different guys in the game from off the bench, who came in attacking and having a good approach from the get go.
VCU Head Coach Shawn Stiffler
- VCU concludes the series with the Bonnies tomorrow at The Diamond, with first pitch coming at 12 noon.