FINAL: Old Dominion 6 (3-2), VCU 4 (3-1) (Richmond, Va.) – The Diamond
VCU STARTERS: Acker (RF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Ayers (C), Cullen (CF), Farrar (DH), Davis (2B), Marino (1B), Concepcion (P)
OLD DOMINION STARTERS: Higgens (2B), Myers (CF), Ostrich (RF), Slaton (D), Negrini (3B),Perez (C), Eldridge (LF), Burney (1B), Urps (SS), Diaz (P)
THE BASICS: The Rams took a 3-2 lead in the sixth inning but the Monarchs posted a 2-run third inning to down the home team 6-4. For the fourth straight game the Rams rallied from behind to regain the lead, this time the Monarchs answered to hand VCU its first loss of the season
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Old Dominon (3-2) got on the scoreboard in the top of the second. The Monarchs used a pair of hits from Ben Slaton and Matt Perez to put runners on the corners. Josh Eldridge drove in Slaton with a sac fly to give the Monarchs a 1-0 lead. ODU went on to load the bases but VCU (3-1) got out of the jam unscaved.
- The Monarchs Taylor Urps lead off the fifth with a walk and advanced to second on a P.J. Higgins sac bunt. Connor Myers plated Urps in the next at bat lofting an RBI single into left field, making the score 2-0.
- VCU's big inning came in the sixth as sophomore Cody Acker reached base on a Monarchs error to open the frame. The next batter sophomore James Bunn roped a single into right, placing runners at the corners. In an RBI situation senior Joey Cujas capitalized singling up the middle to score both Acker and Bunn to knot the score at 2-2.
- The Rams were at it again later that inning, with Cujas at third and Chris Ayers at second when Bill Cullen lifted a sacrifice fly into center field to score Cujas. With the sac fly the Rams took their first lead of the ball game 3-2.
- In the top of the seventh, the Monarchs answered to tie the game, 3-3, when Taylor Ostrich lifted a single into left field to score Higgins.
- ODU retook the lead in the eighth, after back-to-back singles to lead off the inning the Monarchs used a Higgins two RBI double to make the score 5-3.
- In the bottom half of the inning, Bunn reached on a throwing error that went wide of the first baseman allowing the sophomore to advance to second. With Bunn on second, Vimael Machin belted a single into right field bringing home Bunn and closing the score within one, 5-4. Machin went on to advance to third in the inning but the Rams were unable to tie the score.
- Old Dominion scored its sixth run in the ninth off of a VCU error. With runners on the corners and the opportunity for the Monarchs to do more damage the Black and Gold got out of the jam with a fielders choice play at the plate and a Matt Lees strikeout.
- In the ninth down to their final out the Rams' Trevor Marino was hit by a pitch followed by a single from Cody Acker put runners at the corners. The Rams rally ended with the next batter and closed the game out.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Making his first start of his career Daniel Concepcion went five innings, allowing two earned runs and striking out two.
- With his RBI single in the sixth Joey Cujas extended his hitting streak to nine games dating back to last May.
- Thursday's contest marked the fourth straight game the Rams rallied from behind to retake the lead.
- Sophomore Cody Acker finished the day 2-for-4, marking his first multiple hit game of the season.
- VCU posted seven hits on the day from six different Black and Gold hitters.
The guys are playing great, we're going to play better than we did today. The things we made mistakes on today we'll get ironed out but you only worry about the team if the effort and the energy level isn't ready and that's never been the case these guys have been ready everyday and I'm thrilled with the effort.
- VCU Head Coach Shawn Stiffler
It says so far early on we have a lot of belief in each other, we believe in our process, we believe in what we're doing. Our main goal is that we're going to get better each day and that's what you see with our games, as the games go on we're going to continue to get better each day.
- VCU Head Coach Shawn Stiffler