No. 7 Virginia Beats VCU, 17-3
FINAL: No. 7 Virginia 17, VCU 3 - (Charlottesville, Va. – Davenport Field)
VCU STARTERS: Bunn (LF), Acker (RF), Cujas (3B), Cullen (CF), Ayers (DH), Weymouth (2B), Marino (1B), Haymaker (C), Crimi (SS), Black (P)
VIRGINIA STARTERS: Papi (LF), King (1B), McCarthy (RF), Downes (CF), Fisher (DH), Howard (SS), Gragnani (2B), Towns (3B), Coman (C), Mayberry (P)
THE BASICS: No. 7 Virginia scored 13 unanswered runs to beat VCU, 17-3, on Tuesday night at Davenport Field in Charlottesville, Va. on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Virginia (43-8) plated four runs in the bottom of the first inning. Mike Papi led off the frame with a double to right field, scoring on a double from Joe McCarthy. After a walk to Brandon Downes, Nick Howard roped a three-run homerun to left-center-field, giving the Cavaliers a 4-0 advantage.
- VCU (25-26) cut Virginia's lead in half in the top of the third inning. Junior Trevor Marino started the inning with a single, moving to third on a double from freshman Walker Haymaker. The Rams plated two runs on RBI groundouts from junior Tom Crimi and freshman James Bunn, making the score 4-2.
- The Rams added another run in the top of the fourth inning. With two-outs, junior Chris Ayers reached on a walk, moving to third on a single from senior Jordan Weymouth. The next batter, Marino, laid down a bunt single scoring Ayers and cutting the lead to 4-3.
- Virginia got a run a back in the bottom of the fifth inning. Kenny Towns started the inning with a leadoff walk, moving to second on a sacrifice bunt by Robbie Coman. The next batter, Papi scorched a single down the first base line, giving Virginia 5-3 lead.
- The Cavaliers added another run in the bottom of the fifth inning. Brandon Downes led off the inning with a single, moving to second on a stolen base. With two-outs, Reed Gragnani singled into left field, pushing the Cavaliers' lead to 6-3.
- Virginia struck for five runs in the bottom of the sixth inning. Coman started the rally reaching on an error and moving to third on a single by Papi. Jared King sent a sacrifice fly to center field, scoring Coman. McCarthy followed with a single moving the runners to the corners. The next batter, Brandon Downes, hit a two-RBI double for second and third runs of the inning. Fisher, followed with a single putting runners on the corners. The next batter, Howard singled, scoring Downes, for the fourth run on of the inning. The Cavaliers added the fifth run when Howard got in a run down, allowing King to score, giving UVA a 11-3 lead.
- The Cavaliers added six more runs in the seventh and eighth innings taking a 17-3 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Marino finished 2-for-4 for VCU with an RBI and a run scored.
- Bunn recorded his 15th RBI of the season, while Crimi picked up fourth RBI of the campaign.
- Freshman starting pitcher Dan Black tossed three innings, surrendering four runs. He was charged with his third loss of the season.
- Virginia starting pitcher Whit Mayberry went 2.2 innings allowing two runs on two hits and picked up the win for the Cavaliers.
VCU concludes the regular season with an Atlantic 10 series with cross-town rival Richmond. Game one between the Rams and Spiders is Thursday, May 16 at 6 p.m.