VCU Splits Doubleheader With Saint Louis on a Walk-Off Single by Brent Mikionis
FINAL: Saint Louis 3, VCU 2 – (Richmond, Va. – The Diamond)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Ayers (C), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Mikionis (1B), Weymouth (2B), Prentiss (DH), Farrar (P)
SAINT LOUIS STARTERS: Bozarth (CF), Fernandez (LF), Kelly (RF) Vigliarolo (1B), Nelson (DH), Levine (2B), Martinez (3B), Henson (C), Sole (SS), Bates (p)
THE BASICS: Saint Louis used an unearned run in the top of the ninth inning to get passed VCU, 3-2, in the second game of a three game series on Sunday night at The Diamond at the HDL Inc. Athletic Village.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored the game's first run in the bottom of the fourth inning. Freshman James Bunn led off the inning with a single, advancing to second when junior Joey Cujas was hit by a pitch. After a sacrifice bunt by junior Chris Ayers, classmate Tom Crimi grounded out to short, scoring Bunn, giving VCU a 1-0.
- Saint Louis took the lead in the top of the fifth inning. Braxton Martinez and Jake Henson started the rally with back-to-back singles, moving into scoring position on a sacrifice bunt by Alex Sole. The next batter Alex Bozarth grounded out, plating Martinez. With two outs, Alex Kelly singled into center field, giving the Billikens a 2-1 lead.
- The Rams tied the score in the home half of the sixth inning. Junior Bill Cullen led off the single, getting to second on a sacrifice bunt by Bunn. Cujas roped a single into right field, scoring Cullen, tying the score 2-2.
- The Bills took the lead for good in the top of the ninth inning. Bozarth started the inning with a single, going to second on a sacrifice bunt by Steve Fernandez. The next batter, Kelly, reached on an error, allowing Bozarth to score and giving Saint Louis a 2-1 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Saint Louis' starting pitcher Nick Bates threw seven innings allowing two runs, scattering seven hits and fanning four. Matt Eckelman threw the final two innings and did not allow a hit. He earned his fourth win of the season.
- VCU starting pitcher senior Ryan Farrar threw 6.2 innings allowing two runs on eight hits and striking out three. He did not factor in the decision.
- Sophomore Matt Lees threw the final two innings for VCU, allowing two hits and an unearned run. He was charged with his sixth loss of the season.
- Saint Louis out hit VCU in the game 10-5.
- Ayers and Crimi each had an RBI for VCU.
FINAL: VCU 5, Saint Louis 2
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Ayers (DH), Buran (RF), Weymouth (2B), Marino (1B), Octavi (C), Crimi (SS), Greene (P)
SAINT LOUIS STARTERS: Bozarth (LF) Fernandez (DH), Kelly (LF), Vigliarolo (1B), Nelson (C), Levine (2B), Martinez (2B), Hammerman (CF), Soel (SS), Smith (P)
THE BASICS Senior Brent Mikionis hit a two-out, two-RBI walk-off single to beat Saint Louis, 6-5, in the rubber game of a three-game series at The Diamond on Sunday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Louis (31-15, 13-5 Atlantic 10) plated two runs in the top of the first inning. Bozarth led off the game with a single, scoring on an one-out single from Kelly. With two-outs, Jon Levine roped a single into center field, giving Saint Louis a 2-0 advantage.
- VCU (23-23, 8-10) responded with a run in the bottom of the first inning. Cullen reached on a wild pitch after a strike out, moving to third on a single by Cujas. Senior Taylor Buran laid down a drag bunt, scoring Cullen, cutting the Bills lead to 2-1.
- The Billikens added two runs in the top of the seventh inning. Martinez doubled into center field, moving to second on a bunt single by Jordan Hammerman. The next batter, Sole roped a single into center field, scoring Martinez. With the bases loaded, Fernandez grounded into a fielder's choice, scoring Hammerman, giving Saint Louis a 4-1 advantage.
- VCU plated two runs in the bottom of the seventh inning. Junior Nick Octavi, Crimi and Culled all singled, loading the bases to start the Rams' rally. The next batter, Bunn reached on a fielder's choice, scoring both Octavi (earned) and Crimi (unearned), making the score 4-3 in favor of SLU.
- The Black and Gold tied the game in the bottom of the ninth inning. With one out, Cujas doubled starting the VCU rally. With two-outs, Buran roped a double down the third base line, tying the score 4-4.
- Saint Louis plated a run in the top of the 10th inning. With one-out, Mike Vigliarolo singled coming around to score on a two-out RBI double from Levine, giving Saint Louis a 5-4 advantage.
- VCU scored two-runs in the bottom of the 10th to win the game. Junior Trevor Marino walked starting the inning, but was cut down when freshman Walker Haymaker reached on a fielder's choice. Crimi followed with an infield single putting runners on the first and second. With two-outs, Bunn reached on a walk, loading the bases. The next batter, Mikionis, singled into left field scoring two-runs and securing the 6-5 victory for VCU.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Freshman Michael Carpenter threw three innings allowing one run on four hits, while striking out two. He earned his first career victory.
- Josh Moore threw 0.2 innings for Saint Louis, he was charged with his fourth loss of the season.
- Cujas finished the game 3-for-5 for the Rams.
- Buran went 2-for-5 with two RBIs,
- Mikionis' lone at-bat was the two-RBI single for VCU.
"It was great to finish a series with a walk-off win. The guys really came out and battled all day long. The whole series came down to who made the big play and we were able to do that in two of the three games. We didn't come out and play our best baseball game in the beginning of game two, but we fought all night and we were able to win the ball game."
- Assistant Coach Jeff Palumbo on the doubleheader
VCU hits the road for a five-game road trip, starting on Wednesday, May 8 in College Park, Md. VCU and Maryland meet at 6 p.m.