Prentiss, Kanuik Lift VCU over La Salle, 5-2, in Series Finale
FINAL: VCU 5, La Salle 2 (Philadelphia, Pa. - DeVincent Field)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Machin (SS), Cujas (3B), Ayers (DH), Buran (RF), Weymouth (2B), Mikionis (1B), Prentiss (LF), Octavi (C), Greene (P)
LA SALLE STARTERS: Klem (3B), Baron (SS), Conroy (LF), Korenblatt (RF), Williams (1B), Ravert (DH), Welling (C), Smith, Jr. (CF), McGowan (2B), Hollman (P)
THE BASICS: Junior Logan Kanuik scattered three-hits over four innings of relief, earning his first career save, as VCU topped La Salle, 5-2, in the finale of a three-game series.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU (21-21, 6-9 Atlantic 10) scored the game's first two-runs in the top of the second inning. With one-out, senior Taylor Buran singled starting the rally and moving to second on a walk to classmate Jordan Weymouth. With two-outs, junior Landon Prentiss roped a double off of the left field wall, scoring both Buran and Weymouth, giving VCU a 2-0 lead.
- La Salle's (20-21, 13-5) Kevin Conroy belted a homerun over the left field wall, giving VCU a 2-1 lead.
- The Explorers tied the game in the bottom of the fifth inning. Ryan Welling led off the inning with a double to left field, moving to third on a groundout by Collin McGowan. With two-outs, Dan Klem singled, scoring Welling, tying the score 2-2.
- VCU retook the lead in the top of the sixth inning. With one-out senior Brent Mikionis doubled down the left field line, starting the Rams' rally. The next batter, Prentiss reached on an infield single, putting runners on the corners. After a walk to junior Nick Octavi, junior Bill Cullen grounded out, scoring pinch runner Trevor Marino. The next batter, Machin reached on a walk, loading the bases. Junior Joey Cujas grounded out to second, but it was misplayed, allowing Prentiss to score and giving VCU a 4-2 advantage.
- The Black and Gold added an insurance run in the top of the ninth inning. Weymouth started the inning reaching on an error, and moving to second on a sacrifice bunt from Marino. With two-outs, Octavi shot a single into center field, scoring Weymouth, giving VCU a 5-2 lead.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Junior starting pitcher, Seth Greene threw five innings allowing two runs on eight hits. He earned his third win of the season.
- Kanuik threw the final four innings, allowing just three hits and striking out five. He was credited with his first-career save.
- Prentiss finished the game 2-for-4 with two RBIs for the Rams.
- Buran finished the day 2-for-5 for VCU.
- VCU's entire starting lineup finished with a hit in the game.
"It's good to get the last one of the weekend. Everybody in the lineup had a hit for us today and Landon Prentiss came up with the big two-out, two-RBI double. Seth Greene and Logan Kanuik did an outstanding job for us today on the mound to help us pick up the win . With that being said, it is a disappointing weekend. Our expectations are always to make plays to give us an opportunity to win games and we didn't do a good job of that this weekend. We have continue to do that if we want to be the best baseball team we can be."
-Head Coach Shawn Stiffler
VCU returns home to The Diamond, part of the HDL Inc. Athletic Village, for a four-game home stand starting on Tuesday, April 27 against nationally ranked Virginia. First pitch between the Rams and Cavaliers is set for 7 p.m.