VCU Rallies to Tie Game, But Falls to VMI 5-4
FINAL: VMI 5, VCU 4 (Lexington, Va. – Gray-Minor Stadium)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Mikionis (DH), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Weymouth (2B), Marino (1B), Haymaker (C), Farrar (P)
VMI STARTERS: Tarsovich (LF), Connorely (1B), Dickinson (CF), Winn (C), Shifflett (DH), Angus (RF), Stallings (2B), Bryan (SS), Lopez (3B), Henkel (P)
THE BASICS: VCU rallied to tie the score 4-4, but Cameron Walter hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth inning, giving the Keydets a 5-4 victory on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU wasted little time getting its offense started, scoring three runs in the top of the first inning. Junior Bill Cullen started the rally when he reached second base on a throwing error. After an out, Junior Joey Cujas doubled off the center field wall, scoring Cullen. Sophomore Vimael Machin reached on a dropped third strike, allowing Cujas to advance to third. Machin stole second base, but the throw ended up in center field allowing Cujas to score and Machin to advance to third base. The next batter, senior Taylor Buran dragged a bunt down the third base line, scoring Machin and giving VCU a 3-0 lead.
- VMI scored its first run in the home half of the third inning. Drew Bryan sparked the Keydets rally with a single to right field, advancing to second on a groundout from Ray Lopez. With two-outs, Will Connorley roped a line drive into left field scoring Drew and cutting VCU's lead to 3-1.
- The Keydets scored again in the bottom of the fifth inning. Bryan started the rally with a lead off walk advancing to third on two groundouts. Drew came around to score on a passed ball, making the score 3-2 in favor of VCU.
- VMI took its first lead in the bottom of the sixth inning. Matt Winn started the rally with a solo home run over the left field wall. The next batter, Sheldon Shifflett reached on an error and eventually came around to score on a wild pitch, giving the Keydets a 4-3 advantage.
- The Rams tied the score in the top of the eighth inning. Back-to-back singles by freshman James Bunn and Cujas started the Rams rally. Senior Brent Mikionis hit an RBI single, scoring Bunn and tying the score 4-4.
- VMI won the game in the bottom of the ninth inning with a walk-off single by Cameron Walter, securing a 5-4 win for VMI.
INISIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Buran extended his hitting streak to 11-straight games with his RBI single in the top of the first.
- Bunn has now reached base safely in 13-straight contests (tied for the team-high) for VCU. He has gotten on base safely in 24 of the last 25 games of the season for VCU.
- Cujas recorded his 19th RBI of the season, while Mikionis picked up his 15th.
- Senior starting pitcher Ryan Farrar threw 5.2 innings, scattering six hits allowing four runs (two unearned) and did not factor in the decision.
- Sophomore Matt Lees threw 2.2 innings and was charged with his third loss of the season.
- John Garrett threw a scoreless ninth inning to pick up the win for the Keydets.
The Rams and Keydets conclude their three game series tomorrow, Sunday, April 7. First pitch is set for 2 p.m.