FINAL: VMI 6, VCU 2 (Lexington, Va. – Gray-Minor Stadium)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Mikionis (1B), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Weymouth (2B), Malan (DH), Octavi (C), Dwyer (P)
VMI STARTERS: Tarsovich (LF), Connerley (1B), Dickinson (CF), Winn (C), Shifflett (DH), Angus (RF), Stallings (2B), Bryan (SS), Lopez (3B), Bach (P)
THE BASICS: VMI used a five-run third inning to beat VCU 6-2 on Friday night in the first game of a three-game series. Freshman James Bunn registered VCU's two RBIs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VMI (15-18) exploded for five runs in the bottom of the third inning. With one-out, Ray Lopez tripled to start the Keydets rally. After a walk to Jordan Tarsovich, Will Connorley had an infield single, scoring the game's first run. The next batter, Will Dickinson homered to right field giving the Keydets a 4-0 lead. Following the home run, Matt Winn restarted the rally with a single. The next batter, Sheldon Shifflett grounded out, advancing Winn to second. With two-outs, Brandon Angus singled to right field, scoring Winn and giving VMI a 5-0 advantage.
- VCU (14-13) responded with two-runs in the top of the fifth inning. Junior Jordan Weymouth singled to start the inning, advancing to second on a one-out single from Nick Octavi. With two-outs, Bunn roped a double to left-center-field scoring Weymouth and Octavi and cutting the Keydets' lead to 5-2.
- The Keydets added an insurance run in the home half of the fifth inning. Winn and Shifflett reached on back-to-back two-out singles, advancing to second and third on a wild pitch. Winn came around to score on a wild pitch, giving VMI a 6-2 lead.
- VMI relievers Reed Garrett and John Garrett recorded the final six outs to preserve the 6-2 win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Senior Taylor Buran extended his hit streak to 10 games with a single in the ninth inning. It is the first time this season any Ram has had a hit streak reach double digits.
- Bunn collected his 10th multi-hit game of the season, a team-high. He also picked up his ninth and 10th RBIs of the season on the two-out double.
- Senior Brent Mikionis finished 2-for-4, with two singles.
- Sophomore starting pitcher Heath Dwyer threw a complete game, allowing six runs, while striking out seven batters. It was the first complete game of his career. He was charged with his fourth loss of the season.
- VMI starter Connor Bach threw seven innings, scattering five hits and two runs, and earning his second victory of the season.
VCU and VMI continue their weekend series tomorrow, April 6, at 4 p.m. The three-game set concludes on Sunday, April 7 first pitch is set for 2 p.m.