VCU Drops Doubleheader to Butler on Saturday
FINAL: Butler 4, VCU 3 – (Richmond, Va. – The Diamond)
VCU STARTERS : Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Weymouth (2B), Mikionis (1B), Haymaker (C), Acker (DH), Farrar (P)
BUTLER STARTERS: M. Calderon (CF), Fries (LF), Dillion (RF), Risi (1B), Guinane (DH), Kseniak (3B), Haddad (C), L. Calderon (2B), Caponi (SS), Kramp (P)
THE BASICS Butler scored four runs in the first three innings and held on to beat VCU 4-3 in the first game of the doubleheader at The Diamond on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Butler (10-10, 2-0 Atlantic 10) scored two runs in the top of the first inning to take an early lead. Marcos Calderon led of the game with a single back up the middle, moving to second on a walk to Jack Dillion. Mike Risi singled into right field scoring Marcis Calderon, and advancing Dillion to third. Dillion came around to score on an errant throw to second trying to throw out Risi, who stole second.
- The Bulldogs added two more runs in the top of the third inning. With one out, Dillon reached on a walk, moving to second on a single from Risi. Patrick Guinane doubled into right field, plating Dillion. The next batter Mike Kseniak laid down a bunt single scoring Guinane, making the score 4-0 Butler.
- VCU (12-9, 0-2) scored its first run of the game in the bottom of the fourth inning. The Rams loaded the bases with hits from freshman Cody Acker and junior Bill Cullen and a walk to freshman James Bunn. The Rams scored their run when Butler turned a double play, which cut Butler's lead to 4-1.
- With one out, senior Jordan Weymouth singled to start the Rams rally in the bottom of the fourth. The next batter, senior Brent Mikionis doubled to into the gap in right-center-field, scoring Weymouth from first, cutting the score 4-2 in favor of Butler.
- The Rams added another run in the bottom of the fifth inning. Junior Joey Cujas roped a double into deep right field to start the rally, advancing to third on a groundout by sophomore Vimael Machin. With two-outs, senior Taylor Buran put down a drag bunt and beat the throw to first scoring Cujas. The run cut Butler's lead to 4-3.
- Butler hung on for the victory and closer Chase Byerly came on to earn his third save of the season.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cullen finished the game 2-for-5, recording his sixth multi-hit game of the season.
- Buran finished 2-for-4 with an RBI. It was his sixth multi-hit game of the season, as well as his 12th RBI.
- Mikionis also finished 2-for-4 with an RBI, recording his first multi-hit game of the season and sixth RBI of the season.
- Senior starting pitcher Ryan Farrar threw 6.1 innings, allowing three earned runs and striking out five. He was charged with the loss, his third of the season.
- Acker finished 2-for-4 for his first multi-hit game of his career.
- Junior Logan Kanuik threw 2.1 innings, only allowing one hit.
- Butler's starting pitcher Kyle Kramp improved to 4-0 allowing three runs and scattering nine hits for the Bulldogs.
VCU STARTERS : Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Weymouth (2B), Mikionis (1B), Acker (DH), Octavi (C), Greene (P)
BUTLER STARTERS: M. Calderon (CF), Fries (LF), Dillion (RF), Risi (1B), Gelwicks (DH), L. Calderon (2B), Haddad (C), Kseniak (3B) Caponi (SS), Laing (P)
THE BASICS: Butler completed a three-game sweep of VCU with a 7-4 victory over the Rams in game two of the doubleheader on Saturday at the Diamond.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Butler (11-10, 3-0 Atlantic 10) scored the game's first run in the top of the fourth inning. Michel Fries led off the inning with a single, advancing to second on a sacrifice bunt from Jake Dillion. Mike Risi delivered an RBI single, plating Fries. Risi advanced to second on a walk to Pat Gelwicks. The next batter Lucas Calderon singled to bringing home Risi, giving Butler a 2-0 lead.
- The Bulldogs extended their lead to 5-0 in the top of the sixth inning. Dillion and Risi led off the inning with a single and a catcher's interference, respectively. Gelswicks advanced the runners to second and third on a sacrifice bunt. Louis Calderon came up big again with a one-out two-RBI single. The next batter, Radley Haddad singled putting runners on first and second. Mike Ksnieak followed with a single, scoring Louis Calderon completing the rally.
- VCU (12-9, 0-3) cut the lead to one run with a four-run bottom of the seventh inning. Cullen and junior Landon Prentiss started the inning with back-to-back singles and Cujas was hit by a pitch to load the bases. With one-out, Buran reached on an RBI infield single, scoring Cullen. The next, batter, Weymouth singled into right field, plating Prentiss. The rally was capped off with a two-RBI single from Mikionis, pulling VCU within a run at 5-4.
- Butler added two more insurance runs in the top of the ninth inning. Fries led off the inning with a double and Dillion and Risi followed with a walks, loading the bases. After an out, Louis Calderon doubled into left field scoring two runs and giving Butler a 7-4 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cullen finished 2-for-3 with two walks recording his seventh multi-hit game of the season.
- Mikionis finished with two or more RBIs for the second time this season.
- Acker and Weymouth each finished 2-for-4 in the game.
- Weymouth brought home his fifth RBI of the season.
- Butler's Louis Calderon finished the game with five RBIs.
- Junior Seth Greene made his first start of the season, tossing five innings and striking out four. He was charged with his first lost of the season.
- The Bulldogs' Billy Laing threw six innings, scattering eight hits, and fanning six batters to earn the win.
"It is a very disappointing weekend. We got behind all weekend and we could never get a big hit to get back in front. To get swept at home is almost unacceptable. I have to do better job of getting us prepared to play. I need to get us focused on the week ahead and get back to the fundamentals."
-VCU Head Coach Shawn Stiffler
VCU opens a nine-game road swing at No. 1 North Carolina on Tuesday, March 26 at 6 p.m.