FINAL - Monmouth 3 , VCU 1 (Richmond, Va. – The Diamond)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (RF), Cujas (3B), Ayers (C), Machin (SS), Buran (RF), Prentiss (DH), Weymouth (2B), Marino (1B), Dwyer (P)
MONMOUTH STARTERS: Wilgus (CF), Perry (C), Gronsky (2B), Perret (1B), Sweeney (DH), Guida (SS), Bamford (LF), Stewart (3B), Shea (RF), McGee (P)
THE BASICS: Monmouth's starting pitcher Andrew McGee threw a complete game and held VCU to a lone run as the Hawks defeated the Rams 3-1 on Friday night at The Diamond.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Monmouth (4-7) scored the game's first run in the top of the third inning. With two outs, Craig Sweeney doubled to left field to start the rally for the Hawks. After a walk, Joe Bamford singled into left field scoring Sweeney from second, giving the Hawks a 1-0 lead.
- VCU (10-4) responded in the bottom of the fourth inning. Junior Chris Ayers singled with one out and advanced to second on a wild pitch. With two outs, senior Taylor Buran roped a single into left field plating Ayers tying the game 1-1.
- The Hawks retook the lead in the top of the sixth inning. Bamford started the Monmouth rally with a single to center field and advanced on a single from Owen Stewart. With runners on the corner, Robby Alessandrine laid down a squeeze bunt scoring Bamford giving the Hawks a 2-1 lead.
- Monmouth added an insurance run in the top of the eighth inning. Sweeney started the rally with an infield single advancing to second on Jon Guida sacrifice bunt. With two outs, Steve Wilgus delivered a RBI single right back up the middle making the score 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sophomore starting pitcher Heath Dwyer tossed 7.1 innings for the Rams, with five strikeouts. He was charged with his second loss of the season.
- McGee threw a complete game for Monmouth, scattering six hits and recording five strikeouts.
- Sophomore Matt Lees came on in relief for the final 1.2 innings for the Rams. Allowing just one hit and fanning one.
- Buran recorded his third multi-hit game of the season for VCU and picked up his fifth RBI.
- Junior Joey Cujas also collected two hits for the Rams. It was the fifth time Cujas recorded two hits or more hits in a game for VCU.
The Rams and Hawks continue their three-game series tomorrow, Saturday, March 16, at 3 p.m. VCU and Monmouth then conclude the series on Sunday, March 17 at 1 p.m.