VCU Falls 7-2 at UNC Wilmington on Saturday
FINAL: UNCW 7, VCU 2 – (Wilmington, N.C. – Brooks Field)
VCU STARTERS: Cullen (CF), Bunn (LF), Cujas (3B), Buran (RF), Machin (SS), Ayers (C), Mikionis (1B), Prentiss (DH), Crimi (2B), Buckley (P)
UNCW STARTERS: Bass (2B), Austin (CF), Ridge (DH), Dunlap (LF), Dick (1B), LaGrange (3B), Molinaro (RF), Farber (C), Connelly (SS), Ramsey (P)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UNCW (8-6) plated a run in the first inning to start the scoring on Saturday. Michael Bass led off the game with a single and advanced to second on a groundout by Andy Austin. With one out, Hunter Bass sent a single into center field scoring Bass and giving the Seahawks a 1-0 lead.
- The Seahawks added another run in the bottom of the third inning. With one out, Luke Dunlap started the rally with a single and advanced to second on a single from Corey Dick. Ryan LeGrange followed with an RBI single giving the Seahawks a 2-0 lead.
- Wilmington manufactured a run in the bottom of the fifth inning. Dunlap led off the inning with a single and advanced when Corey Dick walked. After a sacrifice bunt from Ryan LeGrange, Tyler Molinaro singled, scoring Dunlap, to give the Seahawks a 4-0 lead.
- The Seahawks rallied for four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning. Pinch hitter Luis Renville led off the inning with a single and advanced to second on a stolen base. With an out, Dunlap doubled to bring home Renville and give UNCW a 4-0 lead. The Seahawks continued their rally with a walk to Dick and a single from LeGrange. With the bases loaded and two-outs, Drew Farber doubled to clear the bases and give UNCW a 7-0 advantage.
- VCU (9-2) responded with a run a in the top of the seventh inning. Junior Bill Cullen led off the inning with a single and advanced to second on a walk by James Bunn. Cujas followed with a single up the middle to bring home Cullen, and making the score 7-1 in favor of the Seahawks.
- The Rams added one more in the top of the eighth inning. Sophomore Vimael Machin reached second base on a Wilmington error and came around to score on a RBI single from Ayers. The run cut the UNCW lead to 7-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Cullen recorded his first four-hit day of the season. The four-hits, are the most by any Ram on the year.
- UNCW starting pitcher, Jordan Ramsey, fired a complete game for the Seahawks while earning the win.
- The Rams recorded nine hits on the day. VCU has had nine or more hits in seven of 11 games. VCU has also had nine or more hits in three straight games.
- Junior Tyler Buckley, who started for VCU, threw 4.1 innings allowing three runs, eight hits and a strikeout. It was Buckley's first loss of the season.
"We were unable to keep the leadoff hitter off base for a majority of the game and UNCW took advantage of that. We were unable to make big pitches at big times."
- VCU Head Coach Shawn Stiffler on the loss
"We told the guys that, when you are playing good teams there are a few plays that dictate the baseball game. So far,UNCW has capitalized on those and we haven't . We have not been able to make that pitch or dive in that run, and that has been the difference in the series, thus far."
-Stiffler on the weekend, thus far
"Jordan Ramsey was very good for them today. He was able to throw his fastball on both sides of the plate and his breaking ball just enough to keep us off balance."
- Stiffler on UNCW starter Jordan Ramsey
The Rams and Seahawks conclude their three-game series tomorrow, March 10, at 2 p.m. VCU returns home and opens a nine-game home stand with Wagner on Tuesday, March 12 at 3 p.m.