FINAL: Gold 12, Black 2
THE BASICS: The Gold team took advantage of two big innings in the third and the fifth inning and cruised to a 12-2 victory over the Black team to win the 2012 Black and Gold World Series.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the third inning the Black team put runners on base with walks, and the Gold team would capitalize with two outs hits from juniors Joey Cujas and Trevor Marino. Gold went on to plate five runs in the inning.
- Freshman Michael Thomas would extend the Gold's lead with a solo homer in the fourth inning.
- The Gold team would get back to work in the fifth inning with a three-run frame. Again, Cujas came up with a two-RBI double and freshman James Bunn followed with an RBI hit.
- The Gold team coasted to victory behind solid pitching from Matt Lees, Seth Greene, Ryan Farrar and Michael Carpenter.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- With the win, the Gold team wins the annual Black and Gold World Series 2-1. Gold rallied to win two consecutive games after losing the first game.
- Cujas finished the night 2-4 with a double, two runs scored and three RBI's.
- Marino was named the World Series' Most Valuable Player.
- Lees earned the win for the Gold team he pitched three innings, allowed two runs and stuck out a batter.
"I thought both teams competed very well. It was nice to get the chance to sit back and watch how different guys reacted and stepped up in different situations. I am really happy with the way we played defense, only committing three errors in the three games. The whole week was a blast for our team, and was nice to have great fan support at all three games.
-VCU Associate Head Coach Shawn Stiffler, on the Black and Gold World Series
The Black and Gold World Series concludes the Rams' fall season. VCU starts its 2013 regular season on Feb. 15 when they play Boston College in the first round of the Elon Tournament.