ATLANTIC 10 101: SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY
A-10 Member Since
Saint Louis Athletics Homepage
Distance from Siegel Center- 12 hours and 49 minutes (bus) and 3 hours and 48 minutes (plane)
Athletics- St. Louis fields 16 varsity Division I sports teams. The Billikens compete in baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer, softball, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s track and field, and volleyball.
- Founded in 1818 by the Most Reverend Louis Guillaume Valentin Dubourg has a private Jesuit University
- St. Louis University is the oldest university in the United States, west of the Mississippi River
- There are currently 13,875 students enrolled from all 50 states and 77 foreign countries
- The Billikens nickname comes from the St. Louis 1911 football team, whose coach John Bender looked a lot like a Billiken doll, which was a national fad at the time. Local media members began calling the team Benders Billikens in the nickname Billikens stuck.
- St. Louis’ men’s soccer team won 10 national championships during the late 1950’s into the early 1970’s.
- The Chaifetz Arena, home to St. Louis basketball, opened its doors into 2008. The venue also plays host to concerts and lectures, including the Harlem Globetrotters, Barry Manilow, and Phish
- Anthony Bonner, NBA player
- Larry Hughes, NBA player
- Brian McBride, soccer
- Pat Leahy- NFL place kicker
- George Michael, sportscaster