|Coaches and Athletics Staff|
Over the years our student-athletes have done a great job balancing their obligations in the classroom along with their obligations on the field/court. In addition to that they have continued to remain active in the community.
NCAA regulations restrict what our student-athletes are permitted to do as it relates to promotional activities. Virginia Commonwealth University, the Atlantic 10 Conference, or an institutional charitable, educational, or non-profit agency are permitted to use a student-athlete’s name, picture or appearance to support its charitable or educational activities if the following conditions are met:
- Student-athlete(s) must receive prior approval from the Athletics Compliance Office to participate in the promotional or fundraising activity.
- Signatures on the Promotional Activity Request Form, of the authorized representative of the supporting agency, serve as a release statement ensuring that the student-athlete(s) name, image or appearance is used in a manner consistent with the requirements of Bylaw 12.5.1 of the NCAA Manual.
- Student-athlete(s) may not miss class to participate in a charitable or promotional activity.
- Student-athlete's name, picture or appearance may not be used to promote the commercial ventures of any non-profit agency.
- VCU staff, student-athletes, and our representative of athletic interests are not permitted, directly or indirectly, to assist in raising funds for prospects, high schools or organizations that consist of prospects. A prospect is any student who has started classes for the ninth grade or enrolled at a junior college.
Permissible organizations may use the appearance, name or picture of an enrolled student-athlete to promote its fundraising activities at the location of a commercial establishment provided the commercial establishment is not a co-sponsor of the event and the student-athlete does not promote the sale of a commercial product in conjunction with the fundraising activity. A commercial establishment becomes a co-sponsor if the commercial establishment either advertises the presence of the student-athlete at the commercial location or is involved directly or indirectly in promoting the activity.
Please check with the Athletics Compliance Office for additional information related to restrictions on use of the student-athlete’s name, picture or appearance in relation to corporate co-sponsors.
Each Promotional Request that is submitted to the Athletics Compliance Office is reviewed on a case-by-case basis, as there are different factors that are considered in determining whether or not our student-athletes are permitted to participate in an activity or fundraiser. Please keep in mind that a promotional request that has not been pre-approved by the Athletics Compliance Office may result in a violation and subsequently jeopardize the eligibility of our student-athlete(s). We understand that the rules that have been set forth may be difficult to understand. Therefore, please feel free to direct all your questions and concerns regarding promotional or fundraising activities to the Athletics Compliance Staff.