RICHMOND, Va. – In addition to being named Atlantic-10 Player of the Week, VCU Field Hockey junior forward Emily McNamara has been named the Virginia Lottery Student-Athlete of the Week.
McNamara was crucial in the Rams clinching a top-four finish in the league standings, and thus a berth in the conference tournament, this past weekend. She recorded a hat trick and an assist in wins over both St. Francis (Pa.) and La Salle, for a total of six goals and two assists (14 points) across the weekend.
She has three hat tricks on the year, the previous coming in a 9-1 win over LIU Brooklyn on Sept. 17 that also earned McNamara A-10 Player of the Week honors.
McNamara is equipped with speed, a lengthy frame, and superior stickhandling which allows her to generate shots at a massive rate. She has 122 shots this season, while the next closest Ram has 39.
While this has been a career year for the forward from Centreville, Va., her scoring ability is nothing new. Here are some facts and figures from her time in Richmond:
- As a sophomore, she set the school record for points in a single season with 45 (18 goals, nine assists).
- Then broke her own record this year as a junior with at least three games left to play in the season (46 points, 19 goals, eight assists).
- Her 46 career goals are the second most in program history, trailing only Kelsey Scherrer’s 53.
- Scherrer (130) is also the only player McNamara (115) trails in career points.
- McNamara has 23 career assists, good for fourth in school history, just five helpers behind Stephanie DeMasi’s 28.
- As a junior with a full year of eligibility remaining, McNamara is on pace to break the school records for career goals, assists, and points.
- Last year, McNamara was both a First Team All A-10 and First Team All-State honoree.
- As a freshman in 2015, McNamara led the Rams with nine goals and was an A-10 All-Rookie Team selection
VCU wraps up its conference season Friday, Oct. 27 with a game at Saint Louis, followed by a home non-conference matchup against Longwood on Sunday, Oct. 29 to close out the regular season. Sunday is Senior Day for the Rams.